1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and finding coordinates question

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On a treasure map,
    A = -5 (km)x + 2 (km)y, B = 4 km, and theta = 328 deg. The treasure is located at C = 4A - 3B. What is the x-coordinate of the treasure?

What is the y-coordinate of the treasure?

2. Relevant equations
    a^2 + b^2 = c^2
    Vector addition

3. The attempt at a solution
    So to tackle this one I decided that the C couldn't have been making a triangle between the two vectors since C wasn't equal to sqrt(A^2 + B^2). I thought that maybe if I just find 4A in C that would be the x coordinate, and 3B would be the y. I guess that line of logic was wrong, as I didn't get a correct answer.

So can someone help? Please also explain, vectors are confusing to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    So to tackle this one I decided that the C couldn't have been making a triangle between the two vectors since C wasn't equal to sqrt(A^2 + B^2).
    -------
    [itex]\vec{A}=\vec{B}+\vec{C}[/itex]

Vector B and C can be of any direction and magnitude.
    The angle between B and C can be from zero to 360°.

A2=B2+ C2 means the angle between B and C is 90°.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    Alright, so the angle is already given to me is 328°. So does that mean that when I'm drawing my vectors, the angle between A and B is that degree since θB = 328°? Furthermore C should be a point, not a line, right? It's 4A-3B (in relation to the two vectors).

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4
    A = -5 (km)x + 2 (km)y, B = 4 km, and theta = 328 deg. The treasure is located at C = 4A - 3B. What is the x-coordinate of the treasure?
    What is the y-coordinate of the treasure?.
    You have to find the x and y coordinates of 4A -3B.
    The x and y coordinate of A is given.

You have find the value of x and y coordinate for vector B.

Normal addition or subtraction can be easily carried out for the vectors in same or opposite direction.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. Sep 23, 2012 #5
    Alright so B is 4km but I'm not really sure about the direction, is it the θB = 328°? I'm sorry if I'm missing something, I have a hard time understanding vectors.

EDIT- I found the coordinates! It turned out that y=14.36 km. Before that I did some math to find the x and y for B, which ended up being 4sin(-32) = -2.12, and 4cos(-32)= 3.39. Next to find y all I did was 4(2)-3(-2.12). So then (for finding x) 4(-5)-3(3.39) = -30.17. Thank you for all your help! The hints definitely led me to the solution :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook