Electric force-finding coordinate

In summary: Do you want to say more?In summary, an electron travels along the negative x-axis towards the origin at a speed of vo = 7.04i Mm/s, and enters the electric field. The force acting on the electron is electrostatic, and is equal to kq/r^2.
psysicsfeet

Homework Statement

The y-axis marks the boundary between the area where the is no electric field (in the second and third quadrant) and the area where there is a constant electric field: E = 610j N/C (in the first and fourth quadrant).

An electron travels along the negative x-axis toward the origin at vo = 7.04i Mm/s, and then it enters the electric field.and changes direction. Find the y-coordinate of the electron, in cm, when its x-coordinate is 92.3 cm.

Homework Equations

following two formulas may be useful I do not know[/B]
E=kq/r^2
F=qE
I suppose to use a formula that relate with value v0 I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

Anyone can help me figure it out. thank you. I do not have any idea of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
psysicsfeet said:

Homework Statement

The y-axis marks the boundary between the area where the is no electric field (in the second and third quadrant) and the area where there is a constant electric field: E = 610j N/C (in the first and fourth quadrant).

An electron travels along the negative x-axis toward the origin at vo = 7.04i Mm/s, and then it enters the electric field.and changes direction. Find the y-coordinate of the electron, in cm, when its x-coordinate is 92.3 cm.

Homework Equations

following two formulas may be useful I do not know[/B]
E=kq/r^2
F=qE
I suppose to use a formula that relate with value v0 I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

Anyone can help me figure it out. thank you. I do not have any idea of it.
First make a drawing: A coordinate system, and indicate the region with E=0 and E = 610j. Show the electron traveling along the negative x-axis towards the origin with velocity v0 = 7.04i Mm/s.
What force acts on the electron when it is in the electric field?
deflection.JPG

This is exactly analogous to a projectile fired with a horizontal initial velocity v0, with the E field, like gravity, acting in the -j direction (no air resistance assumed, as usual). The E field is equivalent to gravity.

BTW in this problem, mass of the electron is ignored. The force is electrostatic only.

rude man said:
BTW in this problem, mass of the electron is ignored. The force is electrostatic only.
I think you meant that gravity is ignored.

1. What is electric force-finding coordinate?

Electric force-finding coordinate is a method used in physics to calculate the force between two electrically charged objects. It involves finding the coordinates of the objects and using mathematical equations to determine the magnitude and direction of the force between them.

2. How is electric force-finding coordinate different from other methods of calculating electric force?

Electric force-finding coordinate is different from other methods because it takes into account the specific positions of the charged objects, rather than just their charges and distances from each other. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the force.

3. What are the equations used in electric force-finding coordinate?

The equations used in electric force-finding coordinate are Coulomb's law, which calculates the force between two charged objects, and the Pythagorean theorem, which is used to find the distance between the objects in the coordinate system.

4. Can electric force-finding coordinate be used for more than two charged objects?

Yes, electric force-finding coordinate can be extended to calculate the force between more than two charged objects. However, the equations become more complex and the calculations may be more difficult to perform.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric force-finding coordinate?

Electric force-finding coordinate is used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry, to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles. It is also used in the design of electronic devices, such as circuits and capacitors.