1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force-finding coordinate

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The y-axis marks the boundary between the area where the is no electric field (in the second and third quadrant) and the area where there is a constant electric field: E = 610j N/C (in the first and fourth quadrant).

An electron travels along the negative x-axis toward the origin at vo = 7.04i Mm/s, and then it enters the electric field.and changes direction. Find the y-coordinate of the electron, in cm, when its x-coordinate is 92.3 cm.

2. Relevant equations
    following two formulas may be useful I do not know

E=kq/r^2
    F=qE
    I suppose to use a formula that relate with value v0 I guess.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Anyone can help me figure it out. thank you. I do not have any idea of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First make a drawing: A coordinate system, and indicate the region with E=0 and E = 610j. Show the electron travelling along the negative x axis towards the origin with velocity v0 = 7.04i Mm/s.
    What force acts on the electron when it is in the electric field?
    deflection.JPG

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is exactly analogous to a projectile fired with a horizontal initial velocity v0, with the E field, like gravity, acting in the -j direction (no air resistance assumed, as usual). The E field is equivalent to gravity.

BTW in this problem, mass of the electron is ignored. The force is electrostatic only.

5. Sep 3, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you meant that gravity is ignored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted