Vectors and finding coordinates question

In summary, to find the coordinates of the treasure on the map, you need to add or subtract the given vectors A and B. The angle between B and C can be any value between 0 and 360 degrees, and A2=B2+ C2 means the angle between B and C is 90 degrees. In this case, the angle is already given as 328 degrees. By finding the values of x and y for vector B and using vector addition, you can find the coordinates of the treasure at C = 4A - 3B.
Freemark

Homework Statement

On a treasure map,
A = -5 (km)x + 2 (km)y, B = 4 km, and theta = 328 deg. The treasure is located at C = 4A - 3B. What is the x-coordinate of the treasure?

What is the y-coordinate of the treasure?

Homework Equations

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
Vector addition

The Attempt at a Solution

So to tackle this one I decided that the C couldn't have been making a triangle between the two vectors since C wasn't equal to sqrt(A^2 + B^2). I thought that maybe if I just find 4A in C that would be the x coordinate, and 3B would be the y. I guess that line of logic was wrong, as I didn't get a correct answer.

So can someone help? Please also explain, vectors are confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
So to tackle this one I decided that the C couldn't have been making a triangle between the two vectors since C wasn't equal to sqrt(A^2 + B^2).
-------
[itex]\vec{A}=\vec{B}+\vec{C}[/itex]

Vector B and C can be of any direction and magnitude.
The angle between B and C can be from zero to 360°.

A2=B2+ C2 means the angle between B and C is 90°.

azizlwl said:
So to tackle this one I decided that the C couldn't have been making a triangle between the two vectors since C wasn't equal to sqrt(A^2 + B^2).
-------
[itex]\vec{A}=\vec{B}+\vec{C}[/itex]

Vector B and C can be of any direction and magnitude.
The angle between B and C can be from zero to 360°.

A2=B2+ C2 means the angle between B and C is 90°.

Alright, so the angle is already given to me is 328°. So does that mean that when I'm drawing my vectors, the angle between A and B is that degree since θB = 328°? Furthermore C should be a point, not a line, right? It's 4A-3B (in relation to the two vectors).

A = -5 (km)x + 2 (km)y, B = 4 km, and theta = 328 deg. The treasure is located at C = 4A - 3B. What is the x-coordinate of the treasure?
What is the y-coordinate of the treasure?.
You have to find the x and y coordinates of 4A -3B.
The x and y coordinate of A is given.

You have find the value of x and y coordinate for vector B.

Normal addition or subtraction can be easily carried out for the vectors in same or opposite direction.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
What is the y-coordinate of the treasure?.
You have to find the x and y coordinates of 4A -3B.
The x and y coordinate of A is given.

You have find the value of x and y coordinate for vector B.

Normal addition or subtraction can be easily carried out for the vectors in same or opposite direction.

Alright so B is 4km but I'm not really sure about the direction, is it the θB = 328°? I'm sorry if I'm missing something, I have a hard time understanding vectors.

EDIT- I found the coordinates! It turned out that y=14.36 km. Before that I did some math to find the x and y for B, which ended up being 4sin(-32) = -2.12, and 4cos(-32)= 3.39. Next to find y all I did was 4(2)-3(-2.12). So then (for finding x) 4(-5)-3(3.39) = -30.17. Thank you for all your help! The hints definitely led me to the solution :D

Last edited:

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow with a starting point and an ending point, and is used to describe physical quantities such as velocity and force.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, you square each component, add them together, and then take the square root.

What are the different ways to represent a vector?

Vectors can be represented in various ways, including using a coordinate system, writing it in component form, or using a magnitude and direction notation (commonly known as polar form).

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first ensure that they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to get the resultant vector.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity and displacement.