Finding coordinates after finding the acceleration of an object

In summary, at time t, a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration has a velocity of vector v = (3.00i+3.70j) m/s.
nerdalert21
Acceleration and coordinates at time t.

Homework Statement

At t = 0, a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration has a velocity of vector v i = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) m/s and is at the origin. At t = 3.60 s, the particle's velocity is vector v = (7.00 i + 3.70 j) m/s. (Use the following as necessary: t. Round your coefficients to two decimal places.)

a) Find the acceleration of the particle at any time t. Found this a= (4.00i+5.70j)/3.6s
b) Find its coordinates at any time t. I have no clue how to do this

Homework Equations

I tried x⃗t=x⃗0+v⃗0t+12a⃗t^2 but webassign says my answer is wrong

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used the above equation and plugged in what I am given or know.
Xo=0
Vot=(3.00i-2.00j)t
a=(4.00i+5.70j)/3.60
soooo
Xt= 0 + (3.00i-2.00j)t + 1/2[(4.00i+5.70j)/3.60]t^2
in the end i got
x=(3.00i)t + (0.56i)t^2
y=(2.00j)t + (0.79j)t^2

Can someone help me understand why i got this wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a = 1.11 i + 1.58 j
Integrating,
v = 1.11 t i + 1.58 t j
Again, integrating,
s = 1.11 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2 i + 1.58 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2 j

jacket said:
a = 1.11 i + 1.58 j
Integrating,
v = 1.11 t i + 1.58 t j
Again, integrating,

I understand where the a= 1.11i + 1.58j comes from but I don't understand what the other two parts (v and s) have to do with this
Can you explain?

so
x = 1.11 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2
y = 1.58 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2

jacket said:
so
x = 1.11 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2
y = 1.58 t[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2

So your saying I have no need to use Xt= Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2?
But what is s?
Cause it looks like your saying that by using the i and j components of "s", the x and y would be constants
but that's not possible is it? because I am looking for the coordinates at any time t

Unfortunately I never used proper limits in integration. Anyway let's do it with your equation.
By s I meant displacement vector.
Now,
[itex]\overline{s}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{v0}[/itex]t + 1/2 [itex]\overline{a}[/itex]t[itex]^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\overline{s}[/itex] = (3i - 2j)t + 1/2 (1.11i + 1.58j)t[itex]^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\overline{s}[/itex] = (3t +.56t^2)i + (-2t + .79t^2)j
Thus finally,
x = (3t + .56t^2)
y = (-2t + .79t^2)

Last edited:
ohhh ok that makes sense
I almost had it right but you cleared up my confusion
thank you so much!

Correcting my first approach:

[itex]\bar{a}[/itex] = 1.11i + 1.58j
Integrating, [itex]\bar{v}[/itex] - [itex]\bar{v0}[/itex] = 1.11ti + 1.58tj
Again integrating, [itex]\bar{s}[/itex] - [itex]\bar{s0}[/itex]- [itex]\bar{v0}[/itex]t = 1.11 (t^2)/2 i + 1.58 (t^2)/2 j
But [itex]\bar{s0}[/itex] = 0 as the particle is at origin at t = 0
So, [itex]\bar{s}[/itex] = [itex]\bar{v0}[/itex]t + 1.11 (t^2)/2 i + 1.58 (t^2)/2 j

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

FAQ: Finding coordinates after finding the acceleration of an object

1. How do you find the coordinates of an object after calculating its acceleration?

To find the coordinates of an object after calculating its acceleration, you will need to know the initial position, initial velocity, and acceleration of the object. Using the equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time, you can calculate the final position of the object.

2. Can I use the same method to find the coordinates of an object in any direction?

Yes, you can use the same method to find the coordinates of an object in any direction. The equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2 can be applied to both horizontal and vertical motion, as long as you use the correct values for the initial position, initial velocity, and acceleration in that direction.

3. What units should I use when finding coordinates after finding the acceleration of an object?

It is important to use consistent units when finding coordinates after finding the acceleration of an object. The units for position (x and x0) are typically in meters (m), while the units for velocity (v0) are in meters per second (m/s) and the units for acceleration (a) are in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does the time affect the coordinates of an object after finding its acceleration?

The time affects the coordinates of an object after finding its acceleration because the longer the time, the greater the displacement of the object. This means that the final position (x) will be further away from the initial position (x0) when the time (t) is larger. Additionally, the acceleration (a) also affects the position, as a larger acceleration will result in a greater change in position over time.

5. Can I use this method to find the coordinates of an object in a non-uniformly accelerating motion?

Yes, you can use this method to find the coordinates of an object in a non-uniformly accelerating motion. However, you will need to use calculus to calculate the position at specific points in time, as the acceleration may be changing over time. Alternatively, you can use a motion analysis software or tool to graph the position-time data and find the coordinates from the graph.

Back