Vectors. Determine the eqn. of plane M?

To find the equation of the plane containing a= \vec{i}- \vec{j}+ 2\vec{k} and b= 2\vec{i}+ 3\vec{j}- \vec{k} and containing the point (2, 1, -1) we must have a normal vector perpendicular to both a and b. That is, perpendicular to both (1, -1, 2) and (2, 3, -1). That is, perpendicular to (1, -1, 2) x (2, 3, -1). That is, perpendicular to (5, 3, 5). So the normal vector to the plane is (5,
bob29

Homework Statement

Question is:
Given the vectors a= i - j + 2k and b= 2i + 3j - k, determine the equation of the plane M that contains the vectors a and b and the point P(2,1,-1).

Homework Equations

x = xo + at
y = yo + bt
z = zo + ct
PoP = tv ---> (x-xo)i + (y-yo)j + (z-zo)k = t(ai + bj + ck)

where Po (xo, yo, zo)
P(x, y, z)

The Attempt at a Solution

pt= (2,1,-1)
direction: v = ab= i + 4j - 3k

equation of line:
x=xo + at --> x= 2 + t
y=yo + bt --> y= 1 + 4t
z=zo + ct --> z= -1 - 3t

and that's where I get stuck, and I don't know how to continue.

The answer is -x + y + z = -2.
I am unsure how to get to that answer.

Got the answer nevermind.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a lot about vectors and lines there, but nothing about planes. You need to know two fundamental facts:
1) The plane with normal vector [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] and containing point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] has equation [itex]a(x- x_0)+ b(y- y_0)+ c(z- z_0)= 0[/itex].

2) A normal vector to the plane containing vectors [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{i}+ e\vec{j}+ f\vec{k}[/itex] is the cross product of the two vectors [itex](bf- ce)\vec{i}- (cd- af)\vec{j}+ (ae- bd)\vec{j}[/itex] which can be remembered by writing it (as a mnemonic) as if it were a determinant:
[tex]\left|\begin{array} {ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a & b & c \\ d & e & f\end{array}\right|[/tex]

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you define a vector?

A vector can be defined as an ordered set of numbers called components, which represent the magnitude of the vector in each direction. For example, a vector in two-dimensional space can be defined as (x, y), where x and y are the components in the x and y direction, respectively.

3. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and points in a specific direction. It is often used to represent the direction of a vector without considering its magnitude. Unit vectors are typically denoted by adding a hat (^) symbol above the vector, such as ̂v.

4. How do you determine the equation of a plane given three points?

To determine the equation of a plane (M) given three points (P1, P2, P3), you can use the normal vector (N) of the plane and one of the points (P1) to create the equation:
M: N · (x - P1) = 0
where · represents the dot product. To find the normal vector, you can use the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points:
N = (P2 - P1) x (P3 - P1)

5. How do you represent a vector in three-dimensional space?

In three-dimensional space, a vector can be represented by three components (x, y, z) or by a position vector that starts at the origin (0, 0, 0) and ends at the point (x, y, z). Vectors in three-dimensional space are commonly represented using the i, j, and k unit vectors, where i represents the x-direction, j represents the y-direction, and k represents the z-direction.