Vectors, Planes, and Spheres, OH MY (Help mep lease)

In summary, to find the equation of the plane containing both the center and "south pole" of the sphere (x-3)^2+(y-2)^2+(z-3)^2 = 400 and is parallel to the line given in vector form by r(t) = [-43*t-82, -44*t+39, -84*t+94], you will need to find a vector normal to the plane by taking the cross product of the given line and a vector from the center of the sphere to its "south pole". This will give you the coefficients a, b, and c for the equation ax + by + cz = d.
jdj0202

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that contains both the center and "south pole" of the sphere

(x-3)^2+(y-2)^2+(z-3)^2 = 400

and is parallel to the line given in vector form by r(t) = [-43*t-82, -44*t+39, -84*t+94]. Write your answer in the form ax + by + cz = d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All of my attempts are so long it would be absurd to type them up; this is my last ditch effort at finding an answer before giving up.

Please help me with this, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not going to get help because I didn't type up all of my work, will someone let me know so I can put it in here? Thanks.

Is my question too hard? If so, I agree.

You don't have to put in all of your efforts. Pick one that seems halfway reasonable, and show us what you have tried to do.

I will ask you few questions.

Can you determine the center of the sphere with its equation given?

Can you determine the directional vector of the line?

And finally, what is the south pole of the sphere?

To find the equation of a plane, you have to find a vector normal to the plane. And that will be the cross product of two vectors in or parallel to the plane. One you are given and the other is the vector from the center of the sphere to it "south pole" (by which I guess you mean the point on the sphere with lowest z).

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What are planes?

Planes are flat surfaces that extend infinitely in all directions. They are defined by three non-collinear points in three-dimensional space, or by a point and a normal vector. They are commonly used in geometry and physics to represent surfaces.

What are spheres?

Spheres are three-dimensional objects that are perfectly round in shape. They are defined by a center point and a radius. Spheres are often used in geometry, physics, and astronomy to represent objects such as planets and stars.

How are vectors, planes, and spheres related?

Vectors can be used to describe planes and spheres. In fact, a plane can be defined by two vectors that are parallel to the plane, and a sphere can be defined by a center point and a vector that extends from the center to the surface of the sphere.

How can I use vectors, planes, and spheres in real life?

Vectors, planes, and spheres have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to calculate forces and motion in structures, to create 3D models, and to map out the trajectory of a satellite in space.