Parametrize plane-sphere intersection

In summary, we are asked to parametrize a circle contained in the plane x+y+z=1, centered at (2,-2,1), and of radius 40. The attempted solution involved intersecting the plane with a sphere, but it was realized that this approach was incorrect. Instead, the circle can be described using parametric equations involving the unit vectors in the plane and the parameter theta.
mahler1
1. Homework Statement .
Parametrize a circumference contained in the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex], centered at [itex](2,-2,1)[/itex], and of radius [itex]40[/itex].2. The attempt at a solution.
At first I thought I could intersect the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex] with the sphere [itex](x-2)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=40^2[/itex], but then I realized that this is wrong: the circumference can be obtained intersecting the given plane with some sphere, but this sphere doesn't necessarily have a radius of [itex]40[/itex]. So, what can I do know? Could I describe the circumference using polar coordinates? I had in mind a parametrization of the form: [itex]σ(t)=(40cos(t)+2, 40sin(t)-2, 1)[/itex] [itex]0≤t≤2π[/itex] but I'm not sure if this circumference lies on the plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
1. Homework Statement .
Parametrize a circumference contained in the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex], centered at [itex](2,-2,1)[/itex], and of radius [itex]40[/itex].2. The attempt at a solution.
At first I thought I could intersect the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex] with the sphere [itex](x-2)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=40^2[/itex], but then I realized that this is wrong: the circumference can be obtained intersecting the given plane with some sphere, but this sphere doesn't necessarily have a radius of [itex]40[/itex]. So, what can I do know? Could I describe the circumference using polar coordinates? I had in mind a parametrization of the form: [itex]σ(t)=(40cos(t)+2, 40sin(t)-2, 1)[/itex] [itex]0≤t≤2π[/itex] but I'm not sure if this circumference lies on the plane.

Your first equation is correct, but you have to add that x,y,z have to be points of the plane x+y+z=1. You can eliminate z .

ehild

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
1. Homework Statement .
At first I thought I could intersect the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex] with the sphere [itex](x-2)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=40^2[/itex], but then I realized that this is wrong: the circumference can be obtained intersecting the given plane with some sphere, but this sphere doesn't necessarily have a radius of [itex]40[/itex].
What sphere that "doesn't necessarily have radius 40" are you talking about? There is only one sphere in this problem and it is the one with center at (2, -2, 1) with radius 40!

So, what can I do know? Could I describe the circumference using polar coordinates? I had in mind a parametrization of the form: [itex]σ(t)=(40cos(t)+2, 40sin(t)-2, 1)[/itex] [itex]0≤t≤2π[/itex] but I'm not sure if this circumference lies on the plane.
It certainly doesn't because 40cos(t)+ 2+ 40sin(t)- 2+ 1= 40(cos(t)+ sin(t))+ 1, not 1!

I see two ways to approach it:
1) Write the sphere in spherical (not "polar") coordinates as
[tex]x= 40 cos(\theta)sin(\phi)+ 2[/tex]
[tex]y= 40 sin(\theta)sin(\phi)- 2[/tex]
[tex]z= 40 cos(\phi)+ 1[/tex]
and replace x, y, z in the equation of the plane, x+ y+ z= 1, with those. Since this "circumference" (I would say "circle"- circumference is a number) is one dimensional, you would want to use that equation to eliminate either [itex]\theta[/itex] or [itex]\phi[/itex]

2) Start with x+ y+ z= 1 and write, say, z= 1- x- y. Replace z in [itex](x- 2)^2+ (y+ 2)^2+ (z- 1)^2= 1600[/itex] with that to get [itex](x- 2)^2+ (y+2)^2+ (x+y)^2=16[/itex]. Again solve the that equation for x as a function of y or y as a function of x to get a single parameter.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
1. Homework Statement .

You really should learn how to plot these things to get an intuitive feel for them. Since the radius of the sphere is greater than the distance from the x-y plane, it will intersect the x-y plane in a circle. Contrast a small sphere far away from the x-y plane which does not. Anyway, since the intersection is a circle, then we can parameterize that circle in terms of sines and cosines like you did but not exactly. So we have [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex] and [itex](x-2)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=1600[/itex]. So what happens when we let z=0? Well, we have the equation:

[tex](x-2)^2+(y+2)^2=1599[/tex]

and we know [itex]z=1-(x+y)[/itex]

Ok then, bingo-bango. Please provide a nice-looking plot of all this.

Edit: Now that I plotted it, I believe this is wrong. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this problem because of the way it is stated. Since the point (2,-2,1) is on the plane ##x+y+z = 1## I believe the OP wants the circle in that plane which has radius ##40## and is centered at that point. He has used the term "circumference" instead of circle and has led things astray by deciding that that circle must have come from the intersection of the plane with some larger sphere.

Assuming I am correct in this interpretation, here's what I would suggest.

1. Start with the normal vector to the plane ##\vec n = \langle 1,1,1\rangle##.
2. Calculate ##\vec u = \vec n \times \langle 1,0,0\rangle##. This will be a vector parallel to the plane.
3. Calculate ##\vec v = \vec u \times \vec n##. This will be a vector perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec n##.

Now make unit vectors ##\hat u,~ \hat v## from ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##. This will be a pair of orthogonal unit vectors in the plane. Then parameterize your circle as ##\vec r(\theta) =
\langle 2,-2,1\rangle +40\hat u\cos\theta + 40\hat v \sin\theta##.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this problem because of the way it is stated. Since the point (2,-2,1) is on the plane ##x+y+z = 1## I believe the OP wants the circle in that plane which has radius ##40## and is centered at that point. He has used the term "circumference" instead of circle and has led things astray by deciding that that circle must have come from the intersection of the plane with some larger sphere.

Assuming I am correct in this interpretation, here's what I would suggest.

1. Start with the normal vector to the plane ##\vec n = \langle 1,1,1\rangle##.
2. Calculate ##\vec u = \vec n \times \langle 1,0,0\rangle##. This will be a vector parallel to the plane.
3. Calculate ##\vec v = \vec u \times \vec n##. This will be a vector perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec n##.

Now make unit vectors ##\hat u,~ \hat v## from ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##. This will be a pair of orthogonal unit vectors in the plane. Then parameterize your circle as ##\vec r(\theta) =
\langle 2,-2,1\rangle +40\hat u\cos\theta + 40\hat v \sin\theta##.

You're 100% correct in your interpretation, in spanish we use "circumference" (circunferencia) instead of "circle", that may have confused the others. The problem requests the circle to be of radius 40, the part about the sphere is something I've added to solve the problem. I'll use the information you gave me to do the parametrization. Thanks.

Related to Parametrize plane-sphere intersection

What is parametrization in the context of plane-sphere intersection?

Parametrization is a mathematical technique used to represent a curved surface, such as a sphere, in terms of a set of parameters. In the context of plane-sphere intersection, it allows us to describe the points of intersection between a plane and a sphere in terms of a set of variables.

Why is parametrization important in studying plane-sphere intersection?

Parametrization allows us to simplify the problem of finding the points of intersection between a plane and a sphere by breaking it down into a set of equations involving a smaller number of variables. This makes it easier to analyze and solve the problem.

What are the steps involved in parametrizing a plane-sphere intersection?

The steps for parametrizing a plane-sphere intersection include setting up the equations for the plane and sphere, substituting one equation into the other, solving for one of the variables, and then substituting the value of that variable into the remaining equation to find the other variable.

How does parametrization help in visualizing the intersection between a plane and a sphere?

Parametrization allows us to describe the points of intersection between a plane and a sphere using a set of equations, which can then be graphed on a 2D or 3D coordinate system. This visualization can aid in understanding the geometry of the intersection and in finding any patterns or symmetries that may exist.

Are there any limitations to using parametrization for plane-sphere intersection?

While parametrization is a useful technique for solving problems involving plane-sphere intersection, it may not always result in a simple or easy-to-understand solution. Additionally, parametrization may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when the plane and sphere are not in standard form or when the equations cannot be easily solved for one variable.