1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors ; specifically cross product application

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

vector A = 1.5i + 6.7j - 7.4k
    vector B= -8.2i + 6.5j + 2.3k

(f) What is the magnitude of the component of vector A perpendicular to the direction of vector B but in the plane of vector A and B.

3. The attempt at a solution

This part of the problem has me kinda stumped. My attempt at the solution was using the application of the cross product : C = ABsin(theta).

I calculated the angle between the two as 82.43 degrees, and realized that this formula gave me the same thing as simply taking the magnitude of the cross product vector which I calculated to be 107.207.

This shows me that my fundamental approach to this problem is incorrect, but I have no idea where to go with it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Magnitudes of vectors isn't all you need, you also need directions. It would be nice to find a vector that is perpendicular to B but in the plane of A and B, right? Then you could just find the magnitude of A along that direction. How about (AxB)xB? Can you see why that works?

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Looking at a graph of AxB, I think I can see why that (AxB)xB would give me a vector perpendicular to B in the plane, and I'd just have to apply the dot product to get the component of A in the direction of B.

5. Sep 6, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. (AxB)xB is perpendicular to B, and it's also perpendicular to AxB which is the normal to plane containing A and B. And, yes, from here you can use a dot product.

6. Sep 6, 2010 #5
    I successfully solved this problem, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook