1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors that form bases (linear algebra)

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Vectors that form bases (linear algebra)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given two vectors u and v, which are:

u = (1/2 , 1/2 , 1/2 , 1/2) and
    v = (1/2 , 1/2 , -1/2 , -1/2).

I have to find an orthonormal basis for R^4 containing u and v.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first thing that came to me was Gram-Schmidt - but then I saw that the dot-product between u and v is zero, so Gram-Schmidt is overkill.

I just need to find two other linearly independant vectors that has dot-product equal zero with respectively u and v. Is that even possible and how would I do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, u and v are already orthogonal so you really just need to find two more vectors that are orthogonal to both u and v (and to each other). Let w= (a, b, c, d). Then [itex]u\cdot w[/itex] is (1/2)a+ (1/2)b+ (1/2)c+ (1/2)d and you want that equal to 0. That, of course, is the same as a+ b+ c+ d= 0. [itex]v\cdot w[/itex] is (1/2)a+ (1/2)b- (1/2)c- (1/2)d= 0 which is the same as a+ b- c- d= 0. Adding the two equation, you get 2a+ 2b= 0 or b= -a. With b= -a, the first equation becomes c+ d= 0 or c= -d. Choose a and d to be whatever you want and you will get a vector orthogonal to both u and v. You should be able to choose one value of a and d to get a vector orthogonal to u and v, then choose another value of a and d to get a vector that is orthogonal to u and v and also to your first vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?