Velocities at B and C on a rotating rod

In summary, angular velocity of the rod is 5.95 m/s and at points B and C the velocities are 7.778 m/s and 9.28 m/s, respectively.
MrWarlock616

Homework Statement

In the attached image, find angular velocity of the rod and the velocities at points B and C.

Homework Equations

vB|A=0.3ω

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know what angle the absolute velocity makes with the other vectors when put in a triangle? How would the velocity vectors look like at point C in the attached image? It's hard for me since I only have one angle. I could calculate ω, vB, vB|A, I'm only left with vC
vB= 5.95 m/s
vB|A=7.778 m/s

Now, vC|A should be (0.3+0.15)*ω, but what do I do after that?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
No one?

MrWarlock616 said:
Now, vC|A should be (0.3+0.15)*ω, but what do I do after that?

vC|A = Vc - Va by definition.

But that's in the vector form! The answer is VC=9.28 m/s at an anticlockwise angle of 15.61° with the horizontal. WHA?

MrWarlock616 said:
But that's in the vector form! The answer is VC=9.28 m/s at an anticlockwise angle of 15.61° with the horizontal. WHA?

Vc|a = Vc - Va

You know the direction and magnitude of Va and you know the direction and magnitude of Vc|a so you can solve for both magnitude and direction of Vc using this one equation. You have two unknowns and this vector equation represents two equations in two dimensions.

Graphically you can draw a vector diagram which will end up being a closed triangle with Vc one of the sides.

I think we're not sure what difficulty you are having... maybe you are unsure of the direction of Vc|a? AC is a rigid body which means the two points A and C cannot get closer together or further apart. So any velocity one part of the rigid body has with respect to another must be a rotation, ie directed perpendicular to the line connecting the two points. So Vc|a must be directed perpendicular to the line joining AC.

aralbrec said:
Vc|a = Vc - Va

You know the direction and magnitude of Va and you know the direction and magnitude of Vc|a so you can solve for both magnitude and direction of Vc using this one equation. You have two unknowns and this vector equation represents two equations in two dimensions.

Graphically you can draw a vector diagram which will end up being a closed triangle with Vc one of the sides.

I think we're not sure what difficulty you are having... maybe you are unsure of the direction of Vc|a? AC is a rigid body which means the two points A and C cannot get closer together or further apart. So any velocity one part of the rigid body has with respect to another must be a rotation, ie directed perpendicular to the line connecting the two points. So Vc|a must be directed perpendicular to the line joining AC.
Please check if I have this right:
letters in bold are vectors.

rC|A=0.45sin(40°)i-0.15cos(40°)j

vA=-5j

vC|A= ω x rC|A

vC=vA+vC|A

I get vC=-5j+(2.979i +(edited) 7.943j
) which is obviously wrong.
I don't get why the vC makes an angle of 15.61° with the horizontal, as given in my book!

Last edited:
MrWarlock616 said:
rC|A=0.45sin(40°)i-0.15cos(40°)j

That should be 0.45 on the cos as well, maybe that is it.

I don't get why the vC makes an angle of 15.61° with the horizontal, as given in my book!

I've attached a diagram showing a graphical solution.

Vc will be up from the horizontal because Vb is flat horizontally. Vc|a is longer than Vb|a because r is larger at C so the resultant Vc will rise above the horizontal.

Attachments

• beam.png
    beam.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 449
aralbrec said:
That should be 0.45 on the cos as well, maybe that is it.

Oh my god, unbelievable. Thank you so much!

Can you also explain the geometry that goes into making the angle of vC with the horizontal?
EDIT: that angle can easily be found from VC, so nvm...

Last edited:
MrWarlock616 said:
EDIT: that angle can easily be found from VC, so nvm...

Yes, just in case:

The magnitude of Vc is found from the law of cosines:

Vc2 = Va2 + Vc|a2 - 2VaVc|a cos 50

and then the law of sines gets you alpha:

Vc/sin 50 = Vc|a/sin alpha

and

θc = alpha - 90I think it's probably equally difficult to do it this way or the cross product way; maybe a bit easier using your method because there are fewer things to think about.

The geometry does give some more insight though. All points on the rod AC travel at a velocity Va+Vp|a where Va is constant and pointing downward and Vp|a is always perpendicular to the rod. This means the one vector velocity diagram shows all velocities at every point of the rod :: any point's velocity is simply the sum of Va and a vector along Vc|a. The length you travel along Vc|a to find Vp|a depends on the distance r of the point p from a (the length is rw remember). So the tail of the absolute velocity of p is anchored at A and the head sweeps along the vector Vc|a for each point p. Vb, eg, is the horizontal vector I drew from A to the vector Vc|a in that diagram.

Last edited:
aralbrec said:
Yes, just in case:

The geometry does give some more insight though. All points on the rod AC travel at a velocity Va+Vp|a where Va is constant and pointing downward and Vp|a is always perpendicular to the rod. This means the one vector velocity diagram shows all velocities at every point of the rod :: any point's velocity is simply the sum of Va and a vector along Vc|a. The length you travel along Vc|a to find Vp|a depends on the distance r of the point p from a (the length is rw remember). So the tail of the absolute velocity of p is anchored at A and the head sweeps along the vector Vc|a for each point p. Vb, eg, is the horizontal vector I drew from A to the vector Vc|a in that diagram.

YEah! And had the channel not been there for the second block, the vb WOULDN'T be horizontal, right? So, it's just luck that we knew it's direction. This is exactly why I was confused at point c because I didn't know what was the angle made by vc, so I wasn't able to figure out its components!

MrWarlock616 said:
YEah! And had the channel not been there for the second block, the vb WOULDN'T be horizontal, right? So, it's just luck that we knew it's direction. This is exactly why I was confused at point c because I didn't know what was the angle made by vc, so I wasn't able to figure out its components!

These things are machines so the movements are normally constrained like that on purpose so that the machines will perform motions that are predictable and useful.

Had the constraint not been there, you'd have to invoke Netwon's laws (ie it would be a kinetics problem) to find out exactly how the rod moved. But from that diagram with no forces acting (including friction and gravity) and assuming no existing rotational motion, the entire rod would just move downward at 5 m/s.

Last edited:
MrWarlock616 said:

The two channels were at right angles: it was not stated, but rather obvious from the picture. You can choose the most convenient coordinate system: here you say that A moves vertically, along the y-axis and B moves horizontally, along the x axis. The rod connects them, the length of the rod is fixed so xb2+ya2=L2, and you get the relation between velocities by implicit derivation: xava +ybvb=0, vb=(-ya/xb)vb

C moves along a circle of radius r about B. Its velocity is perpendicular to the radius r. You can find that the shaded angles are all equal, so the velocity encloses angle θ with the horizontal.

ehild

Attachments

• vabc.JPG
    vabc.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 397
thanKs a lot ehild and aralbrec, you guys helped a lot!

1. What is the difference between velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod?

The difference between velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod is that the velocity at point B is tangential to the rod's circular path, while the velocity at point C is perpendicular to the rod's circular path. This means that the velocity at point C is constantly changing in direction, while the velocity at point B remains constant.

2. How does the speed at point B compare to the speed at point C on a rotating rod?

The speed at point B is greater than the speed at point C on a rotating rod. This is because the velocity at point B is tangential to the circular path and therefore covers a greater distance in the same amount of time compared to the velocity at point C, which is perpendicular to the circular path.

3. What factors affect the velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod?

The velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod are affected by the angular velocity of the rod, the distance of the points from the center of rotation, and the angle at which the rod is rotating. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the velocities at these points.

4. Can the velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod be equal?

No, the velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod cannot be equal. As mentioned earlier, the velocity at point B is tangential to the circular path and the velocity at point C is perpendicular to the circular path. These two velocities have different magnitudes and directions, making it impossible for them to be equal.

5. How can the velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod be calculated?

The velocities at points B and C on a rotating rod can be calculated using the formula v = rw, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of rotation, and w is the angular velocity. The velocity at point B can also be calculated using the formula v = rω, where ω is the angular speed. These formulas take into account the factors that affect the velocities at these points and can be used to calculate them accurately.