Velocities of objects moving towards and away from each other

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ilikescience94
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ilikescience94
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Am I correct in my understanding that two objects moving away from each other movee away from each other at the speed designated by this equation: (V1+V2)/((1+((V1*VS)/(C^2)))) I was wondering if this same equation was used to determine the velocity at which two objects move towards each other as well. It seems like it would be the same, but then again, I would think that the combined velocity of 2 objects would just be V1+V2, so I'm just being careful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct with the equation.

Given that nothing can exceed the speed of light it is not possible for the combined velocity of two objects to be V1 + V2
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person