1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Velocity Estimate from Schlieren Flow Visualization

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I recently came across a blog on schlieren visualization (http://ottobelden.blogspot.in/2010/07/homemade-schlieren-photography-setup.html).

I replicated it with the following: Convex lens (130 mm dia and 350 mm focal length), LED light source (5 mm white LED) and smartphone camera (Moto G4 Plus).

Below is the flow visualization of a hair dryer:

Can anyone suggest how to estimate the velocity of the air flow?

Thank you
    Jagadeesh R

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With suspended particles and hi-speed camera?

4. Feb 23, 2017 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try to suspend aluminium foil or other light weight objects in front of the dryer. For calculations, should I be familiar with any equations?

5. Feb 23, 2017 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's clever! Schlieren isn't really set up to measure velocities, it's more to measure variations in the index of refraction (often be due to temperature and/or pressure variations). To get velocity information, you could simply do a frame-to-frame comparison of the moving features and generate a velocity field from that- but there are a lot of technical issues I've skipped that you must address before claiming that you are actually measuring a velocity.

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Schlieren velocimetry does exist, but usually for turbulent flows so that you can track the movement of small flow structures. Even then it's not very commonly used because particle image velocimetry is much more reliable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted