Velocity of a charged particle

In summary, the cylinder will have a velocity that is proportional to the charge's distance from the axis.
Kosta1234
Homework Statement
Velocity of charged particle
Relevant Equations
$$ \vec E \cdot \vec A = \rho (r) dV / \varepsilon _0 $$
Hi.
I will be glad if you can help me with a small problem.

I got a cylinder with a density $$ \rho (r) = b \cdot e^{\lambda r} $$, with radius $$ R $$.
If I let go a charge q < 0 from $$ R_0 $$ when $$ R_0 > R $$ , what will be the velocity that the charge will hit the axis of the cylinder.So I did the following:
I found the Electiric Field in space:

$$ \vec E = \frac {b}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda r -1)\cdot e^{\lambda r} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r<R$$
$$ \vec E = \frac {b}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r>R$$so that

$$ \vec F = \frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda r -1)\cdot e^{\lambda r} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r<R$$
$$ \vec F = \frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {{{(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r> R $$and now I want to use the second Newton's law:

$$ F = \frac {dv}{dt} $$
the problem is that I got an 'r' in the integral, can I solve the differential equation just like:

$$ \frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2})dt = dv $$

$$ (\frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2}) t dt = dx $$
$$ t^2 / 2 = \frac {dx}{(\frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2})} $$I'm a little bit confused because the force is changing along the distance

Thanks!. sorry that the latex didn't work in the end.. I've not idea what's wrong there

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Kosta1234 said:
sorry that the latex didn't work in the end..
Doesn't matter: at that point you were off the rails already :smile:

First of all, check your relevant equation: you can't have a differential on one side only !

Then: is the problem statement correct ? How does a charge reach the axis instead of bumping into the cylinder at ##R## ?

Then: as you say, the force changes. Don't we have something more useful to consider in such a case ?

Would you do all this match for a charge q > 0 when asked for the ultimate speed, or use a different approach 😉 ?

Kosta1234 said:
$$ \vec F = \frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r> R $$and now I want to use the second Newton's law:

$$ F = \frac {dv}{dt} $$
the problem is that I got an 'r' in the integral, can I solve the differential equation just like:

$$ \frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2})dt = dv $$

$$ (\frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2}) t dt = dx $$
$$ t^2 / 2 = \frac {dx}{(\frac {qb}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2})} $$I'm a little bit confused because the force is changing along the distance

Thanks!. sorry that the latex didn't work in the end.. I've not idea what's wrong there Three {{{ instead of one

I forgot to say that the cylinder is not solid.

and yes, my relevant equation is:

$$ \int \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \iiint \frac {\rho (r) dV}{\varepsilon _0 } $$

I tried a different approach now..
to calculate the potential in space, and from that the electric potential energy.

and then $$ \Delta U = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 $$
so that is:
$$ q \cdot ( \phi (0) - \phi(R_0) ) = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 $$

I think there is a problem with because there will be $$ ln(r) $$ in the phrase of the potential, and I can't put there r=0

Muuuuuch better ! And you know the potential at the axis, don't you ?

Hmm

If I got those two:

$$ \vec E_1 = \frac {b}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda r -1)\cdot e^{\lambda r} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r<R $$
$$ \vec E_2 = \frac {b}{\varepsilon _0 r} \cdot \frac {(\lambda R -1)\cdot e^{\lambda R} +1}{\lambda ^2} \hat r $$ when $$ r>R $$so I can calculate the potential

$$ \phi (0) = -\int_{R_0}^{R} {E_2 \cdot dr} - \int_R^0 E_1 \cdot dr $$
$$ \phi (R_0) = -\int_{\infty}^{R_0} E_2 \cdot dr $$
$$ U = q(\phi(0) - \phi(R_0) = 1/2mv^2 $$

What do you say?

BvU said:
And you know the potential at the axis, don't you ?
Perhaps that was a bit optimistic with the given charge density.

I agree with the relevant equation. Left is E A -- how do you work out the right for r = R ?

BvU said:
Left is E A -- how do you work out the right for r = R ?
never mind -- I'm a bit slow, but I'm with you. ##\phi## is the way to go.

But not towards infinity -- this is one of the cases where V can't be zero at infinity.

Oh ok. so I can say that in general point $$ \phi(R_0) = 0 $$ so the answer will be:
$$ q \cdot \phi(0) = 1/2mv^2 $$ ?

I think so, yes. Or at 0, or at ##R## -- all you need is a potential difference

Thank you!

1. What is the velocity of a charged particle?

The velocity of a charged particle refers to the speed and direction at which the particle is moving. It is a vector quantity and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the velocity of a charged particle calculated?

The velocity of a charged particle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the particle by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be expressed as v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. Does the velocity of a charged particle change?

Yes, the velocity of a charged particle can change if it is subjected to external forces such as electric or magnetic fields. These forces can accelerate or decelerate the particle, thus changing its velocity.

4. What factors affect the velocity of a charged particle?

The velocity of a charged particle can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of external electric and magnetic fields, the mass and charge of the particle, and any collisions or interactions with other particles.

5. What is the importance of calculating the velocity of a charged particle?

Calculating the velocity of a charged particle is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in various physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering, where charged particles are used in technologies such as particle accelerators and plasma devices.