Block on wedge which is not fixed.Find minimum μ to keep the wedge at rest.

In summary: Fx=3mg\sin(45-\theta)cos\theta##In summary, the wedge must have a coefficient of friction of 3 to remain stationary.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

Consider a wedge of mass m whose upper surface is a quarter circle and is smooth. The lower part is rough. A small block of same mass is kept at the topmost position and the initial position is shown in figure. The block slides down the wedge.

Find the minimum value of coefficient of friction between floor and lower surface of wedge so that the wedge remains stationery during the block's motion on it.
9f0d7815b5.4122fa5d51.Xk4w50.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the angle 'theta' at which horizontal force on the wedge is maximum.

By conservation of energy
##mgr=mgr(1-sin\theta )+\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ 2 } ##

So ##{ v }^{ 2 }=2grsin\theta ##

Horizontal force on the wedge(Fx) is ##\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ r } cos\theta ##So ##Fx=\frac { m }{ r } 2grsin\theta cos\theta ##

##Fx=mgsin2\theta##

For Fx to be maximum ##d(Fx)/d\theta=0##

so
##mg\frac { d }{ d\theta } sin2\theta =0##

##\theta ##=45

So ##{ v }^{ 2 }=\sqrt { 2 } \ gr ##

Normal force on the wedge = ##mg+mg+\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ 2 } sin\theta ##=3mg

Horizontal force on wedge= ##mgsin2\theta##=mg

As wedge should remain at rest so
## 3\mu mg=mg##
So ## \mu =1/3##

But this is not correct.Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Satvik Pandey said:

Homework Statement

Consider a wedge of mass m whose upper surface is a quarter circle and is smooth. The lower part is rough. A small block of same mass is kept at the topmost position and the initial position is shown in figure. The block slides down the wedge.

Find the minimum value of coefficient of friction between floor and lower surface of wedge so that the wedge remains stationery during the block's motion on it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the angle 'theta' at which horizontal force on the wedge is maximum.
Are you sure? The force of friction depends on the normal force between the ground and the wedge, and it is not equal to the weight of the wedge.

Satvik Pandey said:
View attachment 73667
By conservation of energy
##mgr=mgr(1-sin\theta )+\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ 2 } ##

So ##{ v }^{ 2 }=2grsin\theta ##

Horizontal force on the wedge(Fx) is ##\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ r } cos\theta ##

The horizontal force of the wedge is the horizontal component of the normal force between the small block and the wedge. The normal force is not equal to the centripetal force. Do not forget agravity.

ehild

ehild said:
Are you sure? The force of friction depends on the normal force between the ground and the wedge, and it is not equal to the weight of the wedge.
The horizontal force of the wedge is the horizontal component of the normal force between the small block and the wedge. The normal force is not equal to the centripetal force. Do not forget agravity.

ehild
Untitled.png

From figure 2

##N=\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgcos(90-\theta )##

or ##N=\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta ##

Horizontal force in wedge ##Fx=Ncos\theta =\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) cos\theta ##

From figure 3

##R=mg+Nsin\theta ##

##R=mg+\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) sin\theta ##

Are these equations correct?
Is my expression of v2 in #post1 correct?

Satvik Pandey said:
View attachment 73671

From figure 2

##N=\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgcos(90-\theta )##

or ##N=\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta ##

And you got already that ##v^2=2gR\sin(\theta)##, so N= ??

Horizontal force in wedge ##Fx=Ncos\theta =\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) cos\theta ##

Satvik Pandey said:
[
##R=mg+Nsin\theta ##

##R=mg+\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) sin\theta ##

Are these equations correct?
Certainly not, R is the radius, a length, it can not be force ...

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
And you got already that ##v^2=2gR\sin(\theta)##, so N= ??

Horizontal force in wedge ##Fx=Ncos\theta =\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) cos\theta ##Certainly not, R is the radius, a length, it can not be force ...

##N=\frac { m2gR\sin (\theta ) }{ R } +mgsin\theta =3 mg\sin (\theta )##

## Fx=3 mg\sin (\theta )cos\theta ##...(1)

The 'R' in the RHS is not radius.It is reactionary force on wedge.Sorry I should have choose other variable for it, let it be A.
So
##A=mg+Nsin\theta ##

##A=mg+\left( \frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ R } +mgsin\theta \right) sin\theta ##
Please consider reactionary force on wedge in figure(3) in #post 3 be A.

On differentiating eq(1) wrt to ##\theta## and equating it to 0 I got ##\theta=45## maximum value of ##Fx=3mg/2##

Satvik Pandey said:
On differentiating eq(1) wrt to ##\theta## and equating it to 0 I got ##\theta=45## maximum value of ##Fx=3mg/2##

You need maximum coefficient of friction, not the maximum horizontal force. The force of friction also depends on the normal force and on theta.

And substitute for v2 also in the expression of A.

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
You need maximum coefficient of friction, not the maximum horizontal force. The force of friction also depends on the normal force and on theta.

ehild said:

##A=mg+3mg{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ##
I thought by equating ## \mu A=Fx## I can solve for ##\mu##?

Satvik Pandey said:
##A=mg+3mg{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ##
I thought by equating ## \mu A=Fx## I can solve for ##\mu##?
Solve for mu and find the smallest value.

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
Solve for mu and find the smallest value.
Should ##\theta=45##?

Satvik Pandey said:
Should ##\theta=45##?
No, why? Solve for mu in terms of theta, and find the minimum value of mu.

I got ##\mu=3/5##
ehild said:
No, why? Solve for mu in terms of theta, and find the minimum value of mu.
Oh! Sorry.
Putting value in ## \mu A=Fx##

I got ##μ(mg+3mg{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )=3mgsin\theta cos\theta ##

or ##μ=\frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } ##

In order to have ##\mu## maximum

##\frac { d }{ d\theta } \left( \frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } \right) =0##

or ##\frac { d }{ d\theta } \left( \frac { sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } \right) =0##or ##\frac { (1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )\frac { d }{ d\theta } (sin\theta cos\theta )-(sin\theta cos\theta )\frac { d }{ d\theta } (1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ) }{ { (1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ) }^{ 2 } } =0##or ##(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )\frac { d }{ d\theta } (sin\theta cos\theta )-(sin\theta cos\theta )\frac { d }{ d\theta } (1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )=0##

or ##(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )cos2\theta -(sin\theta cos\theta )(3sin2\theta )=0##

or ##2(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )cos2\theta =2(sin\theta cos\theta )(3sin2\theta )##

or ##2(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )cos2\theta =3{ sin }^{ 2 }2\theta ##

or ##2(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )(1-2{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )=3{ sin }^{ 2 }2\theta ##

How to solve for ##\theta##?

Satvik Pandey said:
I got ##\mu=3/5##

Oh! Sorry.
Putting value in ## \mu A=Fx##

I got ##μ(mg+3mg{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta )=3mgsin\theta cos\theta ##

or ##μ=\frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } ##

In order to have ##\mu## maximum

##\mu## need to be minimum.

Satvik Pandey said:
##\frac { d }{ d\theta } \left( \frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } \right) =0##
Change to double angles. You have turned ##\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)## to ##0.5 \sin(2\theta)## already, but remember the very important formulas

##\cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1+\cos(2\theta )}{2}##

and

##\sin^2(\theta)= \frac{1-\cos(2\theta) }{2}##

Store them in your memory!

ehild

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
##\mu## need to be minimum.
That was a typo.
ehild said:
Change to double angles. You have turned ##\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)## to ##0.5 \sin(2\theta)## already, but remember the very important formulas

##\cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1+\cos(2\theta )}{2}##

and

##\sin^2(\theta)= \frac{1-\cos(2\theta) }{2}##

Store them in your memory!

ehild

Is ##\theta ={ cos }^{ -1 }\left( \frac { 3 }{ 5 } \right) \times \frac { 1 }{ 2 } ##??

Satvik Pandey said:
μ=3sinθcosθ1+3sin2θμ=\frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta }
Satvik Pandey said:
That was a typo.

Is ##\theta ={ cos }^{ -1 }\left( \frac { 3 }{ 5 } \right) \times \frac { 1 }{ 2 } ##??

So ##\theta =26.565##

As ##μ=\frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } ##

or ##μ=\frac { 3sin2\theta }{ 2(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ) } =\frac { 3\times 0.8 }{ 3.199 } =0.75##

##\mu=0.75##
Got correct answer :D.
Thank you ehild.

Satvik Pandey said:
So ##\theta =26.565##

As ##μ=\frac { 3sin\theta cos\theta }{ 1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta } ##

or ##μ=\frac { 3sin2\theta }{ 2(1+3{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta ) } =\frac { 3\times 0.8 }{ 3.199 } =0.75##

##\mu=0.75##
Got correct answer :D.
Thank you ehild.

Splendid !

ehild

ehild said:
Splendid !

ehild
Thank you ehild. I could't have solved it without your help.:)

1. What is a block on wedge system?

A block on wedge system is a simple machine consisting of a block placed on top of an inclined plane (wedge). The block can move along the surface of the wedge, and the system is affected by the force of gravity and any external forces acting on it.

2. Why is it important to find the minimum μ for the wedge to remain at rest?

Finding the minimum μ (coefficient of friction) is important because it determines the angle at which the wedge can be tilted without the block sliding down. This angle, known as the critical angle, is important for keeping the system at rest and preventing any unwanted movement.

3. What factors affect the minimum μ for the wedge?

The minimum μ for the wedge is affected by the weight of the block, the angle of the wedge, and the surface materials of both the block and the wedge. These factors determine the amount of friction between the two surfaces and ultimately, the minimum μ needed to keep the wedge at rest.

4. How can the minimum μ be calculated?

The minimum μ can be calculated by setting up an equilibrium equation that takes into account the weight of the block, the normal force, and the force of friction. By solving for μ in this equation, the minimum μ can be determined.

5. What happens if the minimum μ is not met?

If the minimum μ is not met, the block will start to slide down the wedge. This will cause the system to be in motion and potentially result in unwanted outcomes. It is important to ensure that the minimum μ is met to keep the system at rest and maintain stability.