Velocity of points on a moving wheel relative to the ground

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
samreen.a
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A wheel with a radius 50 cm is rolling along the ground at 10m/s[E]. That is, the centre point of the wheel is moving at 10 m/s [E].

- What are the velocities of the top, bottom, front, and back points of the wheel, relative to its center?

- What are the velocities of those four points relative to the ground?

Homework Equations


I'm not sure if I know any for this.


The Attempt at a Solution



For the first one, I got 10m/s for all the dimensions. I'm confused about the second part. Help :\
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the circumference of the wheel and it's horizontal speed to find an angular velocity? What is the relation between the angular velocity of the wheel and the velocity at some radius on the wheel?