Velocity of propagation in lossy media

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula for alfa and beta constants in plane wave theory for lossy media. The formula, which is valid for good conductors, is used to calculate skin effect. However, there is confusion surrounding the application of the formula in a specific example from David Cheng's book, which results in a velocity of propagation much lower than the speed of light. It is suggested that the beta constant in this formula is equivalent to the wavenumber k=2*pi/lambda, and that for lossless media, alfa = 0 and there are no losses, only phase change. It is also noted that copper is not considered a lossy conductor.
pboric
regarding plane waves theory and their properties, for lossy media (conductors) in different books appear a formula that represent alfa y beta constants in the followig way:

alfa = beta = root square( pi*frequency*mu*sigma) valid for good
conductors (high loss material)

I have checked this formula in different books and it works well, and
it's used further to calculate skin effect as well

My question arises from one conclusion derived from the formula, that I
found in just a specific book (David Cheng's Fundamentals of
engineering electromagnetics).
In that book the author says:
velocity of propagation = omega / beta
For copper (good conductor):
sigma = 5.8 * 10 exp 7
mu = 4 *pi *10 exp -7
and therefore v = 720 m/sec. @ f = 3 Mhz.

so the velocity of propagation is << c

I am confused with the final result, because I've checked the formula, and the math in the example is right, but I know that in a copper transmission line, the velocity of propagation is about 2/3 c = 200,000 km/sec.
The formula appears in different books, but the specific example just
appears in Cheng's book
I think the application for the example is valid in a different situation,
but I can't figure out which

Physics news on Phys.org
I think beta here is what other books refer to as the wavenumber
k=2*pi/lambda
Since omega=2*pi*f, the formula is actually the familiar one
c=lambda*f

in lossy media, beta is the phase constant, and alfa is the attenuation constant.
the complex propagation constant gamma is defined = alfa + j * beta
in this case the wavenumber k is complex as well, and it is related to gamma by
gamma = j *k

for lossless media, alfa = 0 and there are no losses at all, just phase change (beta) and in that special case (alfa = 0), we get:
gamma = j*beta = j*k
so beta =k

Copper is not a "lossy" conductor".
In a lossy conductor the wave goes (almost) nowhere slowly.
That is why it is called skin depth.

1. What is the velocity of propagation in lossy media?

The velocity of propagation in lossy media refers to the speed at which an electromagnetic wave travels through a medium that has some degree of electrical resistance, causing the energy of the wave to dissipate as it propagates. This can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its thickness, and the frequency of the wave.

2. How does the velocity of propagation in lossy media differ from that in lossless media?

In lossless media, the velocity of propagation is constant and independent of the frequency of the wave. However, in lossy media, the velocity decreases as the frequency increases due to the absorption of energy by the medium. This results in a higher attenuation of the wave, meaning that it loses more energy as it travels through the medium.

3. What is the significance of the velocity of propagation in lossy media?

The velocity of propagation in lossy media is an important factor to consider in various applications, such as in the design of communication systems or in the analysis of electromagnetic interference. It can also give insight into the properties of the material, such as its electrical conductivity and permittivity.

4. How is the velocity of propagation in lossy media calculated?

The velocity of propagation in lossy media can be calculated using the complex relative permittivity and permeability of the material, which take into account its electrical resistance. These values can be obtained through experimental measurements or theoretical models.

5. Can the velocity of propagation in lossy media be increased?

In general, the velocity of propagation in lossy media cannot be increased. However, it is possible to minimize the effects of loss by using materials with lower resistance or by adjusting the frequency of the wave. Additionally, certain techniques such as signal processing can be used to compensate for the loss in signal strength caused by propagation in lossy media.