1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of the Center of Mass

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A shperical shell of mass = 1kg and radius 2.0cm is released from rest at the top of an inclined plane at a height of 1.00m. The ball rolls down the incline without slipping, what is the velocity of the center of mass at the bottom of the incline.

2. Relevant equations

I'm assuming it will be using

KE rotational, which is 1/2 IW^2
    Potential Energy which is mgh
    KE translational which is 1/2 mv^2
    tangential acceleration: at= αR

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to begin. If we were given the angle of the incline, this would be much easier, but we are not.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you do not know the value of a parameter, leave it as a variable. HINT: use r for the radius of the ball.

Now see if you can manipulate the formula for rotational kinetic energy to eliminate "I" and "omega" leaving only m, r and v. The goal is to have a single formula for total energy with only a few unknowns in it (ideally only one).

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    I got it, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted