Velocity of Center of Mass for a Downwardly-Rotating Sphere

In summary, the sphere of mass M is released from rest at the top of an inclined plane. The center of mass (CM) will move at a speed of sqrt(2gh) down the incline, without slipping. However, since friction does no work, the CM will only move at this speed for a limited time. Once the sphere reaches the bottom of the incline, it will start to move along the surface at a slower speed due to the KE of the ball.
CARNiVORE
Gold Member

Homework Statement

mass = M
radius = r
rot. inertia = i
height = h
Sphere of mass M is released from rest at the top of an inclined plane.
The speed of the center of mass at the bottom of the incline, without friction, is sqrt(2gh).

I need to find the velocity of the center of mass assuming the plane has friction and the sphere rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

I'm perplexed. My only guess would be vcm = (Σmivi)/(Σmi)

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is √(2MgHr2)/(I+Mr2).

Physics news on Phys.org
A more useful relevant equation would be work conservation. What does that have to say?

Thanks for the response. That's a good idea. Let's see what I can do with that. It starts from rest, so Ki = 0. It ends at h=0, so Uf = 0.
Wi = Ki
Ui = Kf + Wƒ
mgh = .5mv2 + μmgh
2gh = v2 + 2μgh
√2gh - 2μgh = v

Definitely incorrect. Since μ isn't even in the answer, I'm guessing that I either need to solve for μ, or I approached this completely incorrectly. Maybe both. What do you think?

CARNiVORE said:
Thanks for the response. That's a good idea. Let's see what I can do with that. It starts from rest, so Ki = 0. It ends at h=0, so Uf = 0.
Wi = Ki
Ui = Kf + Wƒ
mgh = .5mv2 + μmgh
2gh = v2 + 2μgh
√2gh - 2μgh = v

Definitely incorrect. Since μ isn't even in the answer, I'm guessing that I either need to solve for μ, or I approached this completely incorrectly. Maybe both. What do you think?
It is rolling now, not sliding, so the friction does no work. On the other hand, you have not counted all the KE of the ball.

Oops, that was a silly mistake. I also forgot to add .5iω2 to the final kinetic energy. I've figured it out now, though:

mgh = .5mv2 + .5iω2
2mgh = mv2 + i(v2/r2)
2mghr2 = mv2r2 + iv2
2mghr2 = v2(mr2 + i)
2mghr2/(mr2 + i) = v2

Then just take the square root of both sides. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the definition of velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere?

The velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere is the rate of change of the position of the center of mass of the sphere as it rotates in a downward direction.

2. How is the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere calculated?

The velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position of the center of mass with respect to time. This can be represented mathematically as v = d/dt (x,y,z), where v is the velocity vector and x, y, and z are the coordinates of the center of mass.

3. Does the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere change as the sphere rotates?

Yes, the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere changes as the sphere rotates. This is because the position of the center of mass is constantly changing as the sphere rotates, resulting in a change in the velocity vector.

4. How does the mass distribution of the sphere affect the velocity of center of mass?

The mass distribution of the sphere does not affect the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere. As long as the sphere is rotating in a downward direction, the velocity of center of mass will remain the same regardless of the mass distribution.

5. Is there any practical application for understanding the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere?

Yes, understanding the velocity of center of mass for a downwardly-rotating sphere has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects such as satellites, planets, and other rotating bodies in space.