1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Problem of neutron star

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A neutron star has a mass of 2.0 x 1030 and a radius of 5.0 x 103. Suppose an object falls from rest near the surface of the star. How fast would it be moving after it had fallen a distance of 0.010 m? (Assume that the gravitational force is constant over the distance of the fall, and that the star is not rotating.)

2. Relevant equations

(a) F=(G*m1*m2)/r2
    (b) F=ma
    (c) V2=Vo2 + 2ax

3. The attempt at a solution

Using equation (a), I found the force to be about 1.068 x 1043 N

Using equation (b), I found the acceleration to be 5.338 x 1012

Using equation (c), I found the velocity to be 231042.68 m/s after the object had fallen a distance of 0.01 m.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the question? b) looks fine. I don't see how you got a) since you didn't give a mass for the object. c) doesn't look correct numerically.

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Yeah, (c) didn't look right.

For (a), I squared the mass because I only had one mass given, and that was 2 x 1030. Then I divided it by the distance squared, which I used 5 x 103 for, and multiplied it by G.

F = (G*M2)/r2

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you did that then the force in a) is the force between two neutron stars with centers 5000m apart. For c), I don't mean that it's REALLY wrong, it just looks like somebody forgot a 2.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Yeah you don't want to be doing any mass squaring on this one. What happens is you set F=ma in the Gm1m2/r^2 equation and the m of the falling object cancels out, so it's not needed to solve the problem.

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6
    Now I'm confused. :s

So what equation(s) would I use to go about solving this?

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If M is the neutron star mass and m is the mass of the object, F=G*M*m/r^2. (If they don't give you a value for m, that's all you can say). Since we also have F=m*a, a=G*M/r^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?