Velocity Question for a Car Accelerating Down a Road

In summary, the car uniformly accelerates along a straight road with a distance of 240 m and a time of 8 s. Its initial velocity is 12 m/s and its average velocity is 30 m/s. The velocity at the second endpoint will be greater than 30 m/s.
asdek
Homework Statement
A car uniformly accelerates along a straight road, goes the distance between two points 240 m apart in 8 s. Its velocity as it passes the first point is 12 m/s. Find the acceleration of the car and its velocity as it passes the second point.
Relevant Equations
V=D/S
240/8=30.

Physics news on Phys.org
asdek said:
Problem Statement: A car uniformly accelerates along a straight road, goes the distance between two points 240 m apart in 8 s. Its velocity as it passes the first point is 12 m/s. Find the acceleration of the car and its velocity as it passes the second point.
Relevant Equations: V=D/S

240/8=30.
You seem to have calculated the car's average velocity. Is its velocity as it passes the first point above or below that average?

jbriggs444 said:
You seem to have calculated the car's average velocity. Is its velocity as it passes the first point above or below that average?

I'm sorry I don't understand, its velocity as it passes the first point is 12m/s. I'm not sure how to find out its velocity as it passes the secont point.

asdek said:
I'm sorry I don't understand, its velocity as it passes the first point is 12m/s. I'm not sure how to find out its velocity as it passes the secont point.
I repeat:

jbriggs444 said:
I repeat:

Below?

asdek said:
Below?
Yes. 12 m/s is less than 30 m/s.

We are told that the acceleration is uniform. Given this, will the velocity at the second endpoint be greater or less than 30 m/s?

What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is velocity = distance/time, where distance is the distance traveled by an object and time is the amount of time it takes to travel that distance.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only includes the magnitude of an object's motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and can be positive or negative depending on whether the object is speeding up or slowing down.

How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are related through the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula shows that acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

What factors affect the acceleration of a car down a road?

The acceleration of a car down a road can be affected by factors such as the engine power, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the condition of the road surface, and external forces such as friction and air resistance. Additionally, the driver's actions, such as pressing the gas pedal, can also impact the car's acceleration.