Velocity Question for a Car Accelerating Down a Road

• Thread starter asdek
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

A car uniformly accelerates along a straight road, goes the distance between two points 240 m apart in 8 s. Its velocity as it passes the first point is 12 m/s. Find the acceleration of the car and its velocity as it passes the second point.

Relevant Equations:

V=D/S
240/8=30.

Answers and Replies

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Problem Statement: A car uniformly accelerates along a straight road, goes the distance between two points 240 m apart in 8 s. Its velocity as it passes the first point is 12 m/s. Find the acceleration of the car and its velocity as it passes the second point.
Relevant Equations: V=D/S

240/8=30.
You seem to have calculated the car's average velocity. Is its velocity as it passes the first point above or below that average?

You seem to have calculated the car's average velocity. Is its velocity as it passes the first point above or below that average?
I'm sorry I don't understand, its velocity as it passes the first point is 12m/s. I'm not sure how to find out its velocity as it passes the secont point.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I'm sorry I don't understand, its velocity as it passes the first point is 12m/s. I'm not sure how to find out its velocity as it passes the secont point.
I repeat:

I repeat:

Below?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Below?
Yes. 12 m/s is less than 30 m/s.

We are told that the acceleration is uniform. Given this, will the velocity at the second endpoint be greater or less than 30 m/s?