1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity-time & displacement time graphs!

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    I am starting to panic....

How do you find the average velocity from a Velocity-time graph. The graph has a slope of 0.75 and starts at (0,6) and ends at (8,12)

I calculated V.avg = 9. (( 6+ 12)*0.5) but the answer sheet says 12? How?

And, in general how do you find the acceleration from a position- time graph

edit: I was looking at the wrong answer sheet >.< for the first part it is 12!
    but I still don't know how to find the acceleration from a position - time graph, easily.I know I am supposed to find the instantaneous velocity at several points and then construct a velocity - time graph. But is there an easier way?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Yes, there is a more direct way. The acceleration is the second derivative of the velocity with respect to time. To get the acceleration directly, you need to evaluate the second derivative with respect to time numerically. A formula you can use for this is:

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{x(t+\Delta t)-2x(t)+x(t-\Delta t)}{(\Delta t)^2}[/tex]

This is the acceleration at time t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted