1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Velocity transformation from spherical to cartesian coords

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    I cant't figure out how to transform ##\dot{r}##, ##\dot{\theta}##, ##\dot{\phi}## in spherical coordinates to ##\dot{x}##, ##\dot{y}##, ##\dot{z}## in cartesian coordinates (the dot is Newton's notation for the first time-derivative which is the angular velocity and velocity).

I have no trouble transforming the coordinates, but if I try ##\sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(\dot{\phi} r)^2}## I get the wrong total velocity if adding up the components by Pythagoras. Any ideas why this doesn't work, and even more important, how it works instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    The Wikipedia article is overloaded with unnecessary complicated notation. You just forgot to that the longitude diameter is 2πr, but the latitude diameter depends on the longitude so change your Pythagoras to ##|v| = \sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(sin(\theta) \dot{\phi} r)^2}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted