1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity vector along a parabola

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    Hello, I'm new here and wasn't sure if this should be put into the homework section. It's not a homework question but the nature of the problem is homework-ish in nature I suppose.

Anyway I'm trying to understand why a velocity vector along a parabola would have the same initial velocity as its final velocity. I realize that velocity along the x axis is a constant and I think the velocity along the y axis remains linear. Although I can't figure out why both are so. Could someone explain this to me or direct me to where I would find the answer?

thanks
    matt

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2
    Sorry also I forgot to mention that it makes sense in the fact that it will have enough velocity to reach a point y and its velocity will be zero and as it returns its velocity will return back to the original but negative. I was moreso wondering how I could prove this with kinematics.

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I assume you're talking about a projectile thrown upwards in a gravitational field, right?

Then the behavior you describe is derived directly from newton's second law. Namely, the gravitational force only acts in the -y direction. Can you see why this leads to the velocity relationships?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook