Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity with mass and distance given ?

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    An object is lanuched at angle of 45 degrees. If I only have mass and distance travled given, how can I find the velocity of the object?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

dst

Funnily enough you don't even need the mass of the object, assuming only gravity is acting.

A bit of manipulation with the basic laws of motion will give you the formula S = V^2/g where g is gravitational acceleration and S is the distance travelled from the original launch point. That only works for 45 degrees.

Draw the diagram for a projectile launched at 45 degrees and work your way from there. You need to find the maximum point (i.e. when it reaches peak height) for vertical displacement from the ground and then plug that in for horizontal displacement from the origin.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    @iceman99 : Show your effort for solving the problem first.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    Sorry Sourabh, I will next time I didnt even try to solve the problem; i was just curious. Thank you dst.

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    Some of my friends made a potato launcher(I didnt think it would work) and I was curius how they found the velocity with displacment and the weight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?