Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vena contracta in orifice plates

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    Hi, does anybody know how to find the diameter of the vena contracta in gas/vapour flows in orifice plates?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2
    This is given by the coefficient of contraction Cc = Area vena contracta / Area Orifice. The value is usually about 0.62 for a sharp edge orifice. These results may need correction for the compressibility of the fluid. To a first approximation, multiply Cc X Y where Y is the expansion factor.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    Yea, I am aware of this method but concern is with the coefficeint Cc. Usually an approximation would be good enough and 0.61 to 0.64 usually does the trick. My issue is I am trying to develop a method for calculating a value of noise in orifice plates. approximating Cc isn't a reliable method for me because my final decibel value is thrown substantially if certain process variable differ by 0.01 decimal places and the vena contracta velocity and area are troubled areas for me. Thanks anyway though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook