1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venturi Meter Question

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 4 inch to 1 inch diameter venturi meter is used to measure water flow and it
    has a mercury manometer deflection of 1 inch. What is the discharge
    through the four inch diameter pipe?

2. Relevant equations
    Bernoulli Equation, manometer formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus far my attempt at a solution is using the Reynolds Transport Theorem. I know that for a steady flow process that there will be no change in volume for the control volume. Thus that term will be zero. So now I am left with

∫ρV*dA

I have two diameters given and I know that it is a in-compressible fluid. So my flow in must equal my flow out. I am confused however upon the given information regarding the mercury deflection. Am I to use that deflection to give myself a pressure? Or is that a piece of information that is nonessential in approaching this problem?

Best Regards,

D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2017 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The pressure differential is absolutely essential information.
    You can use Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation to solve for flow rate.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your insight. I have solved the problem. I will post my answer once I am home to double check.

Best Regards,
    D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted