1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verification Of Stoke's Theorem

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify Stoke's Theorem by computing both integrals: (stoke's theorem, and the original work integral).
    σ is the portion of z = sqrt(4-x2-y2) above the xy-plane and the vector field is F = <2x-y, y*z2, y2z>

2. Relevant equations
    stoke's theorem, and work integral

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I do stoke's theorem I get <0,0,1> for my curl F. My normal vector is <2x, 2y, 2z>. After I do the two, and do the integral I get 33.51 for my answer.

My work integral I have <2cos(t), 2sin(t)> for my parametrization path. However, when I do the integral I get 12.5. I am not sure which one is right since I have tried the problem three times, but I always get the same answer, so I do not know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you expect us to work both sides out to see what we get? Show us what you did and we can likely quickly find your mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted