Verify whether eigenfunction or not? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

The wavefunction of a particle moving inside a one dimensional box of length L is non-zero only for 0<x<L.
The normalised wavefunction is given by:
[tex]\psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
Is this wavefunction an eigenfunction of the x-component of the momentum operator [itex]\vec p = -i\hbar \vec \nabla[/itex]

My work:
I computed the partial derivative of [itex]\psi[/tex] with respect to 'x'. I got:
[tex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)\cos \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
I don't think it is an eigenfunction of the operator but I don't know how to justify my answer. Help needed...

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Well, what is the definition of an eigenfunction? Does this fit the definition? Since your operator involves an i you might want to put the function in complex form:
[tex]sin(\frac{n\pic x}{L})= \frac{e^{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}- e^{-\frac{n\pi x}{L}}}{2}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
The function should return from the operator exactly as is, except for a multiplicative scaling factor. It does not in this case.

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well there you go, it's not an eigenfunction then. And you should not expect it to be an eigenfunction, because that wavefunction represents a particle which could either be traveling to the right or to the left.

If you rewrite the sine function in terms of complex exponentials as HallsofIvy suggested, you will see explicitly that your wavefunction is a superposition of two momentum eigenstates.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving