1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify whether eigenfunction or not?

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1
    The wavefunction of a particle moving inside a one dimensional box of length L is non-zero only for 0<x<L.
    The normalised wavefunction is given by:
    [tex]\psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
    Is this wavefunction an eigenfunction of the x-component of the momentum operator [itex]\vec p = -i\hbar \vec \nabla[/itex]

My work:
    I computed the partial derivative of [itex]\psi[/tex] with respect to 'x'. I got:
    [tex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)\cos \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
    I don't think it is an eigenfunction of the operator but I don't know how to justify my answer. Help needed...
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what is the definition of an eigenfunction? Does this fit the definition? Since your operator involves an i you might want to put the function in complex form:
    [tex]sin(\frac{n\pic x}{L})= \frac{e^{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}- e^{-\frac{n\pi x}{L}}}{2}[/tex].
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  4. Dec 25, 2005 #3
    The function should return from the operator exactly as is, except for a multiplicative scaling factor. It does not in this case.
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well there you go, it's not an eigenfunction then. And you should not expect it to be an eigenfunction, because that wavefunction represents a particle which could either be traveling to the right or to the left.

If you rewrite the sine function in terms of complex exponentials as HallsofIvy suggested, you will see explicitly that your wavefunction is a superposition of two momentum eigenstates.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?