Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verlet alghoritm and Lennard Jones simulation in Python

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I created script which draw plot of Lennard Jones potential for two particles. Now i want to create 2D simulation for 10 particles with verlet alghoritm but I have no idea how to create that. My problem is implementation of verlet alghoritm and calculating forces. I implemented boundaries and drawing of particles but I do not know how to calculate force properly using verlet alghoritm so I cant implement moving properly.Someone have solution of that problem? Any advices would be useful.
    Below I present my code for plot.
    Code (Python):
    import numpy as np
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

sigma = 1
    e = 1
    r = np.zeros([1001])
    v = np.zeros([1001])
    t = np.zeros([1001])
    a = np.zeros([1001])
    dt = 0.01
    r[0] = 1

def LJ(r):
        return -24*e*((2/r*(sigma/r)**12)-1/r*(sigma/r)**6)

def verlet():
        for i in range(0,1000):
            a[i] = -LJ(r[i])
            r[i+1] = r[i] + dt*v[i]+0.5*dt**2*a[i]
            a[i+1] = -LJ(r[i+1])
            v[i+1] = v[i] + 0.5*dt*(a[i]+a[i+1])
            t[i+1] = t[i]+dt

verlet()
    plt.plot(r,a)
    plt.axis([1, 2, -2.5, 2.5 ])
    plt.show()

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Start by writing down the equations for the Verlet algorithm.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3
    Just calculate the LJ force (F_LJ=-grad(LJ)) and use that to obtain the acceleration term.

EDIT: Moreover, the LJ potential is defined based upon the distance between two particles. The way this is currently written, you don't really have a two body problem, unless your coordinate system places one of the particles at the center, which isn't going to scale with the 10 particles. For 10 particles you might want to define periodic boundary conditions with a fixed box size.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook