1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertex factor for W^- -> e + anti neutrino_e

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on working out the vertex factor from a lagrangian. I think I know what I should be doing however it isn't quite getting the right answer so if anyone could guide me that would be great.

[itex]\mathcal{L}_{W^-e^-\nu_e} = \frac{g_2}{\sqrt{2}}[\overline{\nu}_{eL}W^+_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}e_L + \overline{e}_L W^-_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}\nu_{eL}][/itex]

Initially I just ignored the fields and so got a factor
    [itex]g_2 \sqrt{2} \gamma^\mu[/itex]
    however I know this isn't right. From my notes I can see that there should be a 1-gamma^5 included, along with the factor being 1/(2*sqrt(2)) so I thought maybe I needed to convert the e_L s into just e using the helicity conversion

[itex]e_L = \frac{1-\gamma^5}{2}[/itex]

but the factors still do not seem to be coming out correctly. I'm thinking maybe I should convert the W^(+/-) into W^1/W^2 but that doesn't look like its going to be hugely successful. I haven't yet changed the neutrino fields from left-handed as I assume neutrino fields are generically left handed anyway?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    multiply lagrangian by i,put plane wave form for those operators.Also write the amplitude in two spinors form by using those chiral operator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook