Vertical Elastic Collision Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person stepping through a window of a burning building and dropping onto a rescue net. The question asks for the value of the spring constant for the net so that the person just touches the ground when the net stretches down. The conversation involves calculating the man's initial speed and discussing the use of kinetic and potential energies in solving the problem.
SO_ME

Homework Statement

A 70.0 kg person steps through the window of a burning building and drops to a rescue net held 8.00 m below. If the surface of the net is 1.40 m above the ground, what must be the value of the spring constant for the net so that the person just touches the ground when the net stretches down.

Homework Equations

How do I find the velocity of the man falling?

The Attempt at a Solution

Eg + Ee + Ek = Eg' + Ee' + Ek'

Eg + Ek = Ee'

mgh + .5mV2 = .5kx

(70)(9.8)(9.4) + .5(70)V2 = 0.5k(1.4)2

Physics news on Phys.org
SO_ME said:
How do I find the velocity of the man falling?
What's the man's initial speed? (He just steps through the window and falls.)

Doc Al said:
What's the man's initial speed? (He just steps through the window and falls.)
Yea steps through and falls

SO_ME said:
Yea steps through and falls
So what do you think his initial speed is?

Doc Al said:
So what do you think his initial speed is?
I got 12.2

SO_ME said:
I got 12.2
Is that the man's initial speed, when he just steps out the window? Or did you solve for the speed he would have at some later time?

Hint: You should be able to state the man's initial speed immediately--no calculation needed.

Doc Al said:
Is that the man's initial speed, when he just steps out the window? Or did you solve for the speed he would have at some later time?

Hint: You should be able to state the man's initial speed immediately--no calculation needed.

0 obviously I'm stating the velocity through the air

SO_ME said:
0 obviously I'm stating the velocity through the air
All you need to solve this problem is the man's initial speed, not his speed at some later point. Compare initial energy to final energy.

Doc Al said:
All you need to solve this problem is the man's initial speed, not his speed at some later point. Compare initial energy to final energy.

which energies kinetic or potential?

SO_ME said:
which energies kinetic or potential?
Total energy: Kinetic + potential.

1. What is a vertical elastic collision?

A vertical elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both the momentum and the kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of the objects after the collision calculated?

The velocity of the objects after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the mass and velocity of both objects before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a vertical elastic collision?

The outcome of a vertical elastic collision can be affected by several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the objects. These factors determine how much momentum and energy are transferred between the objects during the collision.

4. Can a vertical elastic collision result in a change in direction for the objects?

Yes, a vertical elastic collision can result in a change in direction for the objects if they collide at an angle. This change in direction is due to the conservation of momentum, where the total momentum of the system remains the same but is redistributed between the objects.

5. How is a vertical elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

A vertical elastic collision is different from an inelastic collision in that the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved in an elastic collision, but is not conserved in an inelastic collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.