1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertices of triangle, multi-problems

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    Vertices of triangle ABC are A(2a,0), B(2b,0), C(0,2).

a) Find the equations of the sides (check, did that)

AB: y=0
    AC: x+ay=2a
    BC: x+by=2b

I'm having trouble with b)

Show that the equations of the medians are: x+(2a-b)y=2a, x+(2b-a)y=2b, 2x+(a+b)y=2(a+b)

Ok, they're not referring to the midpoints of AB, AC, and BC? I think that's where my mistake is. The median is point of intersection where a line intersects each line at each line's midpoint and meets at a common center point inside the triangle?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Part of your objective is to find the midpoint of each side because that is an essential component of Median of a Triangle. The point in the interior of the triangle at which the medians intersect is of no concern in the answer.
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. A "median" of a triangle is the line segment from one vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. For example, the midpoint of AB is (a+b, 0) and C is (0,2). What is the equation of that line?
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    Your answer to part a) ...

.... isn't quite right. Hint: What is the y-int of lines connecting A and C ? A and B?
  6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    Sorry, I meant B and C?
  7. Apr 30, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The equations given were AC: x+ay=2a and BC: x+by=2b with A= (2a,0), B= (2b, 0), and C= (0, 2). When x= 2a, the first equation gives 2a+ ay= 2a or y= 0 and when x= 0 it gives ay= 2a or y= 2. When x= 2b, the second equation gives 2b+ by= 2b or y= 0 and when x= 0 it gives by= 2b so y= 2. Exactly what is wanted.
  8. May 1, 2008 #7

Yup, yup and yup. Sheesh, the careless algebra mistakes I can make are embarrassing. thanks H.O.V.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?