Vertices of triangle, multi-problems

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: E. for catching that for me. In summary, the equations of the sides of a triangle are given by AB: y=0, AC: x+ay=2a, BC: x+by=2b, with A= (2a,0), B= (2b, 0), and C= (0, 2). The equation of the median is given by x+(2a-b)y=2a, x+(2b-a)y=2b, 2x+(a+b)y=2(a+b) and is not related to the midpoints of AB, AC, and BC.
rocomath
Vertices of triangle ABC are A(2a,0), B(2b,0), C(0,2).

a) Find the equations of the sides (check, did that)

AB: y=0
AC: x+ay=2a
BC: x+by=2b

I'm having trouble with b)

Show that the equations of the medians are: x+(2a-b)y=2a, x+(2b-a)y=2b, 2x+(a+b)y=2(a+b)

Ok, they're not referring to the midpoints of AB, AC, and BC? I think that's where my mistake is. The median is point of intersection where a line intersects each line at each line's midpoint and meets at a common center point inside the triangle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of your objective is to find the midpoint of each side because that is an essential component of Median of a Triangle. The point in the interior of the triangle at which the medians intersect is of no concern in the answer.

rocomath said:
Vertices of triangle ABC are A(2a,0), B(2b,0), C(0,2).

a) Find the equations of the sides (check, did that)

AB: y=0
AC: x+ay=2a
BC: x+by=2b

I'm having trouble with b)

Show that the equations of the medians are: x+(2a-b)y=2a, x+(2b-a)y=2b, 2x+(a+b)y=2(a+b)

Ok, they're not referring to the midpoints of AB, AC, and BC? I think that's where my mistake is. The median is point of intersection where a line intersects each line at each line's midpoint and meets at a common center point inside the triangle?

No. A "median" of a triangle is the line segment from one vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. For example, the midpoint of AB is (a+b, 0) and C is (0,2). What is the equation of that line?

Your answer to part a) ...

... isn't quite right. Hint: What is the y-int of lines connecting A and C ? A and B?

Sorry, I meant B and C?

tmclary said:
... isn't quite right. Hint: What is the y-int of lines connecting A and C ? A and B?

tmclary said:
Sorry, I meant B and C?
?

The equations given were AC: x+ay=2a and BC: x+by=2b with A= (2a,0), B= (2b, 0), and C= (0, 2). When x= 2a, the first equation gives 2a+ ay= 2a or y= 0 and when x= 0 it gives ay= 2a or y= 2. When x= 2b, the second equation gives 2b+ by= 2b or y= 0 and when x= 0 it gives by= 2b so y= 2. Exactly what is wanted.

D'oh

Yup, yup and yup. Sheesh, the careless algebra mistakes I can make are embarrassing. thanks H.O.V.

1. What are vertices of a triangle?

The vertices of a triangle are the three points where the sides of the triangle intersect.

2. How many vertices does a triangle have?

A triangle always has three vertices.

3. Can a triangle have more than three vertices?

No, a triangle is defined as a three-sided polygon, so it can only have three vertices.

4. How do you find the coordinates of the vertices of a triangle?

To find the coordinates of the vertices of a triangle, you can use the distance formula or the Pythagorean theorem. You will need the coordinates of at least two points on each side of the triangle.

5. What are multi-problems involving vertices of a triangle?

Multi-problems involving vertices of a triangle can include finding the area or perimeter of a triangle, determining if a point lies inside or outside the triangle, and solving for missing angles or side lengths using trigonometric functions.