1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Basic QM problem: Commuter of position and momentum operators

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    I'm not exactly sure if this belongs in introductory or advanced physics help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my book, the author was explaining the proof of the Uncertainty relation between po
    position and momentum.

It simply stated that [x,p]= ih(h is reduced)
    But when I tried to verify it I got -ih. I now it would give the same result, but it still won't be good for me to mess up a fundamental concept so early.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\hat{p}[/tex]=-ih d/dx
    [tex]\hat{x}[/tex]=[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]
    [A,B]=AB-BA
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [x,p][tex]\left|\psi[/tex]>=(xp-pa)[tex]\left|\psi[/tex]>=xp[tex]\left|\psi[/tex]>-pa[tex]\left|\psi[/tex]>

It would become this:
    -ihx d[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx -ihx-(-ihx d[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx)=
    -ihx

Which is not the answer my book gave me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer isn't right. The px part means you have to differentiate x*psi. Use the product rule.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    Hello, Pinu7 ! I wish I could do some help.

Firstly, I'd like to tell you that, the given attempt solution is incorrect, for the sign of $i\hbar x$ is plus rather than minus. It is a slight carelessness in extending the derivative of product. Now, I will re-perform the calculating in details. And please translate the tex codes yourself.

For one-dimensional simplified case, as put forward in the question (or for the x-component of 3-dimensional analyses):
    $$
    \hat{x}=x
    $$
    $$
    \hat{p}= -i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}
    $$
    Hence, with the quantum Poisson bracket operator:

[\hat{x}, \hat{p}] \phi = \hat{x} \hat{p} \phi - \hat{p} \hat{x} \phi

= -i\hbar x \frac{d}{dx} \phi -( -i\hbar \frac{d}{dx} (x \phi))

= -i\hbar x \frac{d}{dx} \phi -( -i\hbar \phi -i\hbar x \frac{d}{dx} \phi ) (Look Out! Your Carelessness Happens Here!)

= i\hbar \phi

Just as the textbook gives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook