Very basic tension question, i don't get the theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension force in an elevator that is accelerating upwards. It is determined that the net force acting on the elevator is the sum of the weight force and the tension force. Tension forces act in two directions, pulling away from the objects on which they act, and are a part of the net force. This concept is also related to Newton's third law.
Lachlan1

Homework Statement

a)if an elevator is moving upwards, will the weight force be greater that the tension force in its cable?
b) assume
an elevator of mass 1500kg is accelerating upwards at 2.5ms^(-2) find T. is this greater than the weight force?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

so, I know the weight force, with the elevator in a free body diagram is
f = ma
f = 1500x-9.8
and i know that if the elevator is acelerating upwards it must have an unbalanced force upwards. since there are only two forces acting, tension, and weight, then the tension must be greater than the weight to be unbalanced.

but, when i try to calculate tension, using f = ma
f = 1500x2.5
this leaves me with a smaller force than the weight force. how does this make sense?
can anyone, just explain the basic ides of tension. i interperate my book to say it acts in two directions, how can one force do that? obviously this question is designed to give people the problem I am having! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You must remember that Newton's 2nd law is not f=ma; the law states that f_net = ma, where f_net is the resultant vector sum of all the forces acting on the object. For the elevator, there are 2 forces acting. One of them is the weight force acting down, which is equal to 1500(9.8) N. What's the other one? Then apply the law. Regarding the 2-directional nature of the force, you are apparently misreading the text, perhaps you are looking at a section of the rope in free body diagram, where one force T pulls on the rope to the right, and the other force T pulls on the rope to the left. If I apply a tension force of 100 N to an object, by attaching a rope to it and pulling away from it, then the object must apply an equal but opposite tension force through the rope on me, pulling away from me. That's just Newton's 3rd law, which applies to any force. Tension forces always pull away from the objects on which they act.

Last edited:
ok, thanks. so the tension force a part of the net force. ok, i can see how that works.

thats helped me with another question to, cheers

What is tension and how is it related to basic physics theories?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is related to basic physics theories because it is an essential concept in understanding the behavior of objects under different forces and conditions.

What are some examples of tension in everyday life?

There are many examples of tension in everyday life, such as the tension in a rope when it is pulled, the tension in a rubber band when stretched, and the tension in muscles when lifting heavy objects.

How is tension different from compression?

Tension is a force that pulls or stretches an object, while compression is a force that pushes or squeezes an object. These forces act in opposite directions and can have different effects on an object's structure and behavior.

How is tension calculated in physics?

In physics, tension is typically calculated using the equation T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object experiencing tension.

Why is understanding tension important in science and engineering?

Understanding tension is crucial in science and engineering because it helps us predict how objects will behave under different forces and conditions. This knowledge is essential for designing and building structures, machines, and other technologies.