Where Can I Find Beginner Resources for Biology?

• Thread starter zhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, there are a few recommended books for beginners in biology, including Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al and the Campbell Biology books. It is also suggested to start with a freshman level textbook and consider subscribing to a general biology journal or magazine for further learning.
zhu
I'm looking for some materials or good books for beginners in biology, I am absolutely dumb about these. Anybody can give me some pointers ?
Thx a lot,
-zhu

Biology news on Phys.org
A book I like very much is the book Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al. As the title says, it it Cell Biology so maybe not what you are looking for?

Here are some more books by the same publisher:
http://www.garlandscience.com/default.asp

The Campbell Biology books are good to introdution most concept.
http://www.aw-bc.com/campbell/

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with a freshman level textbook. You will find one at your local college.

Nautica

Originally posted by nautica
I would start with a freshman level textbook. You will find one at your local college.
Nautica

I second this idea. I would also recommend a subscription to a general biology journal or magazine of some sort. If the topic really interests you, and you read all your issues, you would be amazed how much you actually pick up.

1. What is the definition of a "very beginner" question?

A "very beginner" question refers to a question that is typically asked by someone who is new to a particular topic or subject. These questions often include basic concepts or terminology and are typically straightforward and simple.

2. Why are "very beginner" questions important in science?

"Very beginner" questions are important in science because they lay the foundation for understanding more complex concepts and theories. By asking these questions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamentals of a topic and build upon that knowledge to make new discoveries and advancements.

3. How do scientists approach answering "very beginner" questions?

Scientists approach answering "very beginner" questions by breaking down the topic into smaller, more manageable parts and using evidence and experimentation to find answers. They also rely on established scientific theories and knowledge to guide their research and understanding.

4. Can "very beginner" questions lead to significant scientific discoveries?

Yes, "very beginner" questions can lead to significant scientific discoveries. Many groundbreaking discoveries and theories have stemmed from simple questions asked by curious scientists. By continuously asking questions and pursuing answers, scientists can make new and important contributions to their field.

5. How can I ask "very beginner" questions without feeling embarrassed or intimidated?

It is important to remember that there is no such thing as a "stupid" question in science. Asking "very beginner" questions is a crucial part of the learning process and is essential for building a strong understanding of a topic. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or to admit when you don't understand something – it shows that you are actively engaged in the learning process.