Very Hard Projectile Motion<Help, >

In summary: If you can't solve any of them, then you might need to take a look at the textbook or teacher to see if you missed something.
Mafiaboy
Very Hard Projectile Motion making me nuts<Help, Urgent!>

Hey there, i am in grade 12 4u physics course and i would really appreciate it if someone can help me out with the following Projectile Motion questions. I tried to figure out how to do it but i can't think of any.

Question:1 Title:"Hit the floor Target"

Diagram:

xmplsg.jpg

Given:

Δdx=4.950 m
Δdy=-1.130m
Vi=6.52 m/s

Solve for Θ (theta).

Question:2 Title: "Colliding Projectiles"

2 projectiles, one purely horizontal, situated above the other- angular are set to collide in mid-air

Given:

Vix=4.80 m/s
2.0m (separation at launch vertically)

Solve for Θ (theta) ; x- separation at launch. <full solution format>
Provide: A "flight - path' diagram showing coordinates of collision and Δt for collision.

Question 3: Title: "Hit the falling Target"

Diagram:

33pan1u.jpg

Given:

Vi=6.52 m/s
Δdx=2.2 m
Δdy=1.650 m

Solve for Θ (theta) <full solution format>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Mafiaboy, and welcome to PF!
Your question looks interesting but you can't get help here unless you show your attempt. Part of the reason is to give us an idea where you are coming from so our help will be on target. Does your class write the two headings for "horizontal part" and "vertical part" and then write the 3 formulas for these projectile problems?

By the way, your scanned image is very large - can't see it all on my screen. Better to scan at half that resolution.

Delphi51 said:
Hello, Mafiaboy, and welcome to PF!
Your question looks interesting but you can't get help here unless you show your attempt. Part of the reason is to give us an idea where you are coming from so our help will be on target. Does your class write the two headings for "horizontal part" and "vertical part" and then write the 3 formulas for these projectile problems?

By the way, your scanned image is very large - can't see it all on my screen. Better to scan at half that resolution.
I took my grade 11 physics course like 2 years ago so i really don't have any clue...beside just recently the teacher taught us the projectile motion chapter and he directly gave us these questions so that we can do a lab next class. Thanks for the response, and i still need help!

"Image Resized"

Okay, so write the two headings "horizontal" and "vertical".
Ask yourself what type of motion you have in each direction (constant speed or acclerated) and write the appropriate equations for each. Don't use the combined velocity 6.52 - use trig to separate it into horizontal and vertical components and use those. Put your numbers into all three equations and likely you'll be able to solve at least one of them and find out something.

Delphi51 said:
Okay, so write the two headings "horizontal" and "vertical".
Ask yourself what type of motion you have in each direction (constant speed or acclerated) and write the appropriate equations for each. Don't use the combined velocity 6.52 - use trig to separate it into horizontal and vertical components and use those. Put your numbers into all three equations and likely you'll be able to solve at least one of them and find out something.

doesn't help...i need some spoon feeding.

Last edited:
Horizontal - constant speed so x = Viyt
Vertical - accelerated so V = Vix + at and y = Viy*t+½at²
Looks like you have the initial speed but not the angle, so you must let the angle be Θ, which makes Vix = 6.52*cosΘ, and Viy = ...
If you don't see that right away, make a sketch of your 6.52 at angle Θ with vertical component Viy and use trig to find it like I did with Vix.
Put those values into the formulas. Also the acceleration, x and y distances. Look at all 3 formulas and see which one(s) you can solve to find something.

Related to Very Hard Projectile Motion<Help, >

1. What is projectile motion and why is it considered very hard?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is considered very hard because it involves complex calculations and multiple variables, making it challenging to accurately predict the path of the projectile.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These variables can change the path and distance of the projectile.

3. How can I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (v02 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched horizontally, while vertical projectile motion involves an object being launched at an angle. The two types of motion have different equations and require different calculations.

5. How can I use projectile motion in real-life situations?

Projectile motion can be applied in various real-life situations such as in sports, engineering, and physics experiments. For example, understanding projectile motion can help a basketball player make more accurate shots or an engineer design a missile trajectory.