Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Very simple complex powers problem

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Write the following in x+iy form: (-1)^i

my solution:
    (-1)i = (ei(π+2πk))i = e-(π+2πk)

However, my book just states the answer as e-(π) .....but these are not the same....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    For integer [itex]k[/itex], sure they are. Any full turn around the unit circle doesn't change the value.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    but ei2πk and e2πk are different...the first one equals 1 but the second does not...

i mean look just plug in k=1 and k=2...you get e^-3 and e^-5, which are not the same

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4
    Oh, okay, I see what's going on. Yeah, in this case, you may be more correct than the book is. Someone with more recent experience than I in complex analysis may know something more specific to this, though.

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5
    oh alright. idk my book is doing this same mistake for each and every related problem. so i was thinking that i must be doing something wrong. but maybe they are just giving the answer when k=0...although they never specify this....

7. Sep 24, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Your answer is more complete than the book's. Exponentiation to a complex power can give a multivalued result. The book just gave the principal value, which, if you're asked for a single answer, is the usual value we take.

8. Sep 24, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Those π's are hard to read !)

Sure enough.

Give WolframAlpha, [itex]\displaystyle \left(e^{\pi} \right)^{1/i}[/itex] or [itex]\displaystyle \left(e^{-3\pi} \right)^{1/i}\,,[/itex] and it gives -1.

Of course, [itex]\displaystyle e^{-3\pi}\approx 0.0000806995175703\,,[/itex] [itex]\displaystyle e^{-\pi}\approx 0.04321391826377226\,,[/itex] [itex]\displaystyle e^{\pi}\approx 23.140692632779263\,,[/itex]

So it looks like [itex]\displaystyle (-1)^i=e^{(\text{odd integer multiple of }\pi)}\ .[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook