Very Simple Eigenvalue Calculation Need explanation please

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the eigenvalues of a given matrix using the equation det(A-λI) = 0. The questioner initially thought the eigenvalues would be 5 and 0, but after realizing their mistake in the algebra, discovered that the eigenvalues were actually 2 and 3. The responder also suggested trying to solve the equation Ax = 5x to understand why 5 is not an eigenvalue.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix
5 2
-3 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok we were taught that eigenvalues were calculated by taking the determinant( A - λI) = 0. So just subtract a "λ" value from the diagnol entries of the given matrix... so why aren't the eigenvalues 5 and 0? Please help me understand why the e values are 2 and 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix
5 2
-3 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok we were taught that eigenvalues were calculated by taking the determinant( A - λI) = 0. So just subtract a "λ" value from the diagnol entries of the given matrix... so why aren't the eigenvalues 5 and 0? Please help me understand why the e values are 2 and 3?

What is the determinant of the matrix A - λI? What is the equation you get when you set this determinant to zero?

Besides: see what you get when you try to solve the equation Ax = 5x; that will tell you why 5 is not an eigenvalue.

bmb2009 said:
I have to ask: Why do you think the eigenvalues would be 5 and 0?

I just realized that I butchered my algebra and now see that det(A- xI) = 0

(5-x)(-x) - (-6) = x^2 -5x + 6 = 0
(x-2) (x-3) = 0
x=2,3

Thanks for reminding me though appreciate it!

1. How do you calculate eigenvalues?

To calculate eigenvalues, you first need to find the determinant of the matrix. Then, you need to solve for the roots of the characteristic polynomial to obtain the eigenvalues.

2. What is the significance of eigenvalues in a matrix?

Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of the corresponding eigenvector in a matrix transformation. They provide important information about the properties and behavior of the matrix, such as its stability and invertibility.

3. Can you explain the concept of eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are the non-zero vectors that remain in the same direction after being transformed by a matrix. They are associated with eigenvalues and are crucial for understanding the behavior of a matrix.

4. How do you know if a matrix has complex eigenvalues?

A matrix will have complex eigenvalues if its characteristic polynomial has complex roots. This can be determined by finding the discriminant of the polynomial, which will be negative for complex roots.

5. Are there any applications of eigenvalues in real life?

Yes, eigenvalues have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in data analysis, image compression, and signal processing, among others.