1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vf^2 = vi^2 +2ad

1. Aug 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can you prove that vf2 = vi2 + 2aΔd?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. I've not been given any values to use so I'm not sure how to go about answering the question.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What did your course cover so far?
    This is just an application of energy conservation, but I don't know what you can use in such a proof.

4. Aug 17, 2014 #3
    This lesson is about acceleration. It's covered vectors and vector components, relative velocity and displacement so far.

5. Aug 17, 2014 #4
    If you know any of the other kinematic equations then write them down and think about how you can eliminate time as a variable. are there any combinations or substitutions you can make given any of the other kinematic equations?

6. Aug 24, 2014 #5
    Maybe it'll help if I post the entire problem:

Derive an equation that relates vi, vf, Δd, and a. (Hint: Notice that Δt is not invloved.) Solve for Δt in the first equation. Substitute that value into Δt in the third equation. Solve for vf2. Can you prove that vf2 = vi2 + 2aΔd?

I think that this equation relates all of the variables that the problem is asking for:

vf = [itex]\sqrt[]{}[/itex]{vi2 + 2a X d}

There is a table on the page that the problem doesn't reference specifically but I'm now realizing that it must be relevant:

DSC_0343.jpg

solve for Δt for the first equation:

Δt = (vf - vi) X a

Substitute that value into Δt for the third equation:
    Δd = ((vi - vf)/2) X ((vf - vi) X a)

Solve for vf2:
    vf2 = vi2 + 2a X d

I'm not sure if I did all of that correctly but it leaves me with the initial problem of proving that that vf2 = vi2 + 2aΔd

I'm not sure I understand where to start with that.

7. Aug 24, 2014 #6
    What do you mean you still have to prove it? you started with true relations and ended up with the required equation; that's how this equation comes about. That's all you need to do.

8. Aug 24, 2014 #7
    My answer should then be yes I can prove that equation because..... ?

Like I said, I'm not sure I understand where to start with that.

9. Aug 24, 2014 #8
    what you did is proof enough. In this sense derivation would be proof, because like I said, you are taking relations that are already known to be true, and ending up with the time independent kinematic equation.

10. Aug 25, 2014 #9
    I really do appreciate your input. I am pretty stunned when it comes to this stuff.....

I just don't understand how what I've done above is enough because as you can see here: DSC_0361.jpg

Proving that equation is the last problem. I have no idea how to answer it.

11. Aug 25, 2014 #10
    Rewrite the equation as ##v_f^2-v_i^2=(v_f+v_i)(v_f-v_i)=2aΔd##

How is ##(v_f-v_i)## related to a and Δt?

How is ##(v_f+v_i)## related to the average velocity?

How is Δd related to the average velocity and Δt?

Chet

12. Aug 26, 2014 #11
    Could this really be considered a proof? One could easily derive this relation through this method as well.

13. Aug 26, 2014 #12
    Who knows what they were thinking when they asked for a proof?????

Chet

14. Sep 12, 2014 #13
    lol thanks for your help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted