1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration/Centrifugal Force Question

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    Hello

I am making a vibration project which requires me to mount eccentric weights on both sides of an electric motor. I must submit the "generated force(in Kg)" by this motor.

The RPM of motor = 1000
    Total weight on both sides of the motor = 16.8Kg (8.4Kg on both sides)
    The radius(distance from the center of the shaft to the end of the weight) = 103 mm

What will be creation of Centrifugal force when this motor is run at 1000 RPM ??

Dhiraj

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2
    Where are you going to locate these weights? At what radius?

Think about the problem of tension in a string holding a rock and being swung in a circle. Your problem is similar.

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't make sense. "Generated force" is measured in newtons, not kilograms.

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4
    Dale, it does if you work in the bastard (old) metric system that measured forces in kilograms. This is exactly analogous to measuring mass in pounds. I certainly don't recommend this, but I have to recognize it when I see it happening.

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

So is a "1 kg force" equal to 1 N or 9.8 N?

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6
    Dale, it is the later, 1 kgf = 9.807 N.

8. Nov 2, 2014 #7
    Dale, there is also the perhaps more common gram-force, such that 1 gf = 980.7 dynes.

9. Nov 3, 2014 #8

take a look at this video. The motor has to be used like this. To vibrate certain appratus

also look at this image for weight placement
    xx.JPG

gthanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook