1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion

1. Dec 5, 2017 #1
    Hi all, been a while since I studied physics but I saw something that I found strange,

This device: https://researchfrontiers.uark.edu/good-vibrations/ from University of Arkansas

A free floating graphene sheet extracting energy from brownian motion and converting that to electric current.

wouldn't this violate the second law of thermodynamics? or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:22 PM
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The article is not really clear, so I had a look at the paper (pdf). As far as I understand that, you need a thermal gradient or mechanical motion of the overall system to drive these vibrations if you want to extract useful energy from them. The article makes a much bigger deal of this harvesting than the publication, which focuses on the research.

4. Dec 6, 2017 at 8:08 AM #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That recent report references this review, which may be of additional interest.

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM #4
    mtb, I'll have a look at the paper to see if I can get a better understanding of what is going on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted