Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion

1. Dec 5, 2017 #1
    Hi all, been a while since I studied physics but I saw something that I found strange,

This device: https://researchfrontiers.uark.edu/good-vibrations/ from University of Arkansas

A free floating graphene sheet extracting energy from brownian motion and converting that to electric current.

wouldn't this violate the second law of thermodynamics? or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The article is not really clear, so I had a look at the paper (pdf). As far as I understand that, you need a thermal gradient or mechanical motion of the overall system to drive these vibrations if you want to extract useful energy from them. The article makes a much bigger deal of this harvesting than the publication, which focuses on the research.

4. Dec 6, 2017 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That recent report references this review, which may be of additional interest.

5. Dec 7, 2017 #4
    mtb, I'll have a look at the paper to see if I can get a better understanding of what is going on.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted