1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrational modes of a discrete particle string

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I just want to make sure I understand the normal modes of a vibrating system of particles with discrete spacing. I have tried to drawn what I understand as the lowest and highest frequency mode of the standing waves. Is the drawing correct? Edit: actually I have drawn the maximum frequency where no particles are permitted to move..
    The system is 4 particles and for standing waves their vibrations are described by:
    y(s) = sin(sKa) with a time dependence and where s refers to particle number s and a is the particle spacing.
    Now with y(0)=y(4) you have the modes:
    k=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4a, [itex]2\pi[/itex]/4a, k=[itex]3\pi[/itex]/4a
    The last one corresponds to no movement of any particle. Is this correctly understood? What happens if we take for instance k=[itex]5\pi[/itex]/4a. Does this mode simply reproduce the motion of k=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4a?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure that I understand your question exactly. If you are just trying to understand how standing waves work then it is easier to think of just 2 points which are the ends of a "string". The string must always be anchored to these two points, so the minimum energy mode is a half wave. There is no maximum frequency in the simplest models. The more vigorously you shake the string, the greater the frequency of the standing waves.

Have a look at this picture from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harmonic_partials_on_strings.svg

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    It is standing waves but not on a string, rather for a system of particles with a discrete spacing. Like when you examine vibrations of atomic planes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted