1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrations/Waves: French vs. Bekefi/Barrett

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Is there a relation between these two texts? Is the Bekefi/Barrett a newer extension of french or is it its own thing completely? Does Bekefi/Barrett contain exact extracts from French? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am only casually acquainted with French, but took a course out of B&B. The two books are at approximately the same difficulty level. The primary difference is scope: French confines the discussion to mechanical vibrations and waves; B&B covers much of the material of French in chapters 1,2,7 and 8, but the rest of B&B is purely on electromagnetic waves. Check out the table of contents of these two books on Amazon and you will see chapters 3,4,5, and 6 of B&B covers aspects of electrodynamics - material not in French at all. B&B is a really good book, and chapters 3-8 are where it really shines. I am pretty sure there is no copying of French here. The main downsides of B&B are that you will have to get past the old fashioned typewriter type-setting, and that it has no solutions.

Since I have not seriously read French's book I cannot comment on whether it is better at explaining mechanical waves than B&B. Since MITs physics III (see ocw.mit.edu) uses both books, I suspect there is something about French that is either not in B&B or that is simply explained better.

good luck.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook