Physics Book on EM Waves, Radiation

In summary, Jason is looking for a book that will cover the derivations of EM waves from the MIT book on EM radiation by Bekefi and Barrett, but he is not sure if the book he has access to does this. He has also talked with Walter Lewin and he knows that there are only a few books that cover this material. He has also looked into the lectures by Feynman and Schwartz.
SilverSlash
Hey, I'm new here but I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am currently studying Waves mainly using MIT's course 8.03 - Vibrations & Waves.

I am now at a point where I have almost finished reading AP French and entering EM Waves. Unfortunately French decided (for whatever reason) to not include electromagnetic waves in his discussion on the subject. It get's worse, since Walter Lewin has a habit of going fast sometimes and he decided to copy exactly the derivation about the production of EM waves from the MIT book on EM radiation by Bekefi & Barrett. I don't have access to this book and to my surprise, after searching google for some time now, there don't seem to be much resources at all on EM waves/radiation books.

I don't want an engineering book, I want a book with quality explanations and Derivations. Use of rigorous mathematics is also welcome as long as it is truly meant for an UNDERGRADUATE audience.

Any suggestions at all? Other than B&B or Berkeley Physics Course...

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Griffiths?

I must ask, is it thorough in it's exposition of EM waves? I mean does it include Larmor’s
formula? That is where I am at right now and not having a book to read through it at my own pace is bothering me.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does. Any other suggestions?

Classical Electromagnetic Radiation-Marion and Heald

This is what we used in my EM class. It has thorough derivations and calculations as well as instructive problems. Good luck.

Likes 1 person
If you are comfortable with upper division books like Griffiths or Marion&Heald then you may as well use them and be done with it. Bekefi and Barrett is definitely at a lower level, however. This is part of what makes B&B unique among electrodynamic texts as far as I can tell, along with the fact that it covers some practical aspects like guided waves, antennas, wave impedance and impedance matching all at a basic but useful level. I don't know if the ocw course you are looking at covers that material or not.

More at the level of B&B is the waves book by Georgi :
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hgeorgi/new.htm
and the lecture notes for physics 315 and 316 (352 is at Griffiths level) at:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html
None of those have everything in B&B, but perhaps they have enough to supplement French .

Good luck!
jason

Likes 1 person
Alright guys, thanks a lot for your replies! All of you!
I also talked with Prof. Walter Lewin himself and he did mention that there are only a few books which cover the material of his course 'Vibrations & Waves', which must be the reason why I couldn't find an abundance of books to fit the criteria.

Thanks again for the recommendations and links.

Now I must ask, did you guys also do a course about Oscillations and Waves - Oscillators, Normal Modes, Mechanical Waves, Sound, Electromagnetic Waves, Interference, Diffraction, etc. - Or did you learn all this from various different courses that you had to take?

Oh and please if you have any other lecture note links I would be very grateful if you could share.

Thanks,
SilverSlash

SilverSlash said:
Now I must ask, did you guys also do a course about Oscillations and Waves - Oscillators, Normal Modes, Mechanical Waves, Sound, Electromagnetic Waves, Interference, Diffraction, etc. - Or did you learn all this from various different courses that you had to take?

I was an electrical engineering major, and we had to take 3 semesters of intro physics. The third semester was waves, optics, and some of the basics of modern physics (wave nature of particles, photoelectric effect, blackbody radiation, etc). I took the honors version, which covered almost everything in Bekefi and Barrett (we used Pain, too, which wasn't so good), and used Tipler's Modern Physics for the other stuff. I was not at MIT. Upper division EE electromagnetics classes covered most of the material again at a higher level, of course.

jason

Feynman starts with the Larmor formula in his chapters on radiation in volume 1 of the Lectures (Maxwell's Equations are not covered until volume 2.)

Schwartz has an excellent presentation of radiation from a more fundamental viewpoint, though not with the detail of an engineering-oriented book. You're vector calc will need to be strong for this book.

1. What is the purpose of a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation?

A Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of electromagnetic waves and radiation, including their properties, behaviors, and applications. It serves as a valuable resource for students and professionals in the fields of physics, engineering, and other related fields.

2. What topics are covered in a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation?

A Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation typically covers topics such as the properties of electromagnetic waves, the electromagnetic spectrum, wave equations, wave-particle duality, radiation laws, and various applications of electromagnetic waves in different fields.

3. Is a background in physics necessary to understand a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation?

While a background in physics can be helpful in understanding some concepts, a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation is written in a way that is accessible to readers with a basic understanding of mathematics and science. It provides clear explanations and examples to help readers grasp the concepts.

4. What makes a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation different from other physics books?

A Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation focuses specifically on the study of electromagnetic waves and radiation, while other physics books may cover a wider range of topics. It also delves deeper into the properties and behaviors of electromagnetic waves and radiation, making it a valuable resource for those studying or working in these fields.

5. How can a Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation be used?

A Physics Book on EM Waves and Radiation can be used as a textbook for students in physics, engineering, or related fields. It can also serve as a reference guide for professionals working with electromagnetic waves and radiation, as well as for anyone interested in learning more about these fascinating phenomena.