I attended Virginia Tech for my undergraduate degree (BSEE). It is one of the best schools in the country, with an engineering program consistently in the top 15 or so. There are an enormous variety of well-funded research projects there, and VT continues to develop into one of the premier research institutions in the world.
The only drawbacks, in my opinion, are: (1) The town, Blacksburg, is very small, and rather far from any big cities. If you like big-city life, you will not enjoy Blacksburg. It's a neat experience to live in a town almost completely composed of college students, but I found myself wanting more culture experiences than such a small town could offer. (2) The weather can be quite cold there in winter. Normal snowfall is probably in the range of 2-6 feet per year, usually in three or four storms throughout the winter. I'm not exactly a winter person, and found it to be a bit cold for my liking.
- Warren