Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virial Theorem and Frictional Forces

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    In the virial theorem, why do velocity-dependent frictional forces disappear? I've seen this stated a number of times, but never any explanation. (And, obviously, haven't been able to figure it out myself!)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I don't know if it is true in general, but for forces which are directly proportional to the velocity the virial is
    proportional to
    [tex]
    \langle{\vec v}\cdot{\vec r}\rangle\;,
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\langle\ldots\rangle[/itex] is time averaging.

But, that virial is the time average of a total derivative w.r.t time (i.e., of r^2/2) and so is zero if the quantity r is bounded and the averaging is done over a long time. (Or if the motion is periodic and the averaging is done over a period of the motion).

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks very much; can you expand a bit on your answer? Specifically, what does it mean for r to be "bounded", and how does it make the time average of a total time derivative go to zero? I understand about the "long time" bit, although even there it would seem to approach a limit of zero, and not actually equalling zero. Am I thinking about this right? Thanks again.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I'll expand and expound:

First of all, I'm discussing a single classical particle.

The particle travels along a trajectory
    [tex]
    {\vec r}(t)
    [/tex]
    under the influence of some forces.

When I say that r is bounded I mean that I can choose a "bound"--some (possibly large) number (R) such that I always have
    [tex]
    r(t)<R\;,
    [/tex]
    for all t. Put more simply, the particle never escapes off to infinity and is always within some finite (though perhaps large) distance from the origin. Also, Because r is bounded so too is r^2 bounded.

Next, I define the "time averaging" as
    [tex]
    \langle\ldots\rangle\equiv
    \lim_{T\to\infty}\frac{1}{T}\int_0^Tdt(\ldots)
    [/tex]

So then
    [tex]
    \langle \frac{d r^2}{dt}\rangle
    =\lim_{T\to\infty}\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T\frac{d r^2}{dt}
    =\lim_{T\to\infty}\frac{r^2(T)-r^2(0)}{T}\;.
    [/tex]
    But that last quantity is necessarily less than
    [tex]
    lim_{T\to\infty}
    \frac{R^2}{T}=0\;.
    [/tex]
    (it's also necessarily greater than -R^2/T)
    Thus, because the quantity r^2 was bounded the time-average of the derivative of r^2 was zero. This is true for any bounded quantity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?