1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual differentials approach to Euler-Lagrange eqn - necessary?

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    I'm currently teaching myself intermediate mechanics & am really struggling with the d'Alembert-based virtual differentials derivation for E-L. The whole notion of, and justification for, using 'pretend' differentials over a time interval of zero just isn't sinking in with me. And I notice that not all textbook authors invoke it, so I'm wondering how necessary it is, given that Hamilton's principle gets us to E-L just fine.
    So, will I ever need this virtual displacement/work approach for something other than a route to E-L, or can I safely wave bye-bye to it?
    Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is nothing wrong with skipping this if it is your first time through Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics. When I took intermediate mechanics we did not cover the virtual displacement/work stuff. We used what was the standard book at the time - Marion and Thornton - which didn't even cover it. However, the honors version of the course did cover it. I have never learned it, but recently have started to re-learn mechanics just for fun and plan on going through the virtual displacement stuff this time around. It appears that it can be a useful approach to getting a nice physical picture of the forces associated with constraints on a system.

Perhaps one of the many people around here that know much more about this than I do will chime in.

Enjoy,

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook