1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual displacement and generalised forces

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    I am unsure about the virtual displacement and work definition even after looking through the definition and seeming to understand it. If we have

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \delta \vec{r}_i ##,

I can use,

## \delta \vec{r}_i = \sum_{i} \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##,

and get to

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{k}\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##.

So,

##\delta W = \sum_{k} \mathcal{F}_k \delta q_k ##.

Then in the derivation it says that this imples that

##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.

I thought that ##\delta W = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ## and ## \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} ##. This seems to imply that:

## \delta W = \sum_{i} \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_k} \delta q_k ##,

so where is the distinction, because I can't work out when to use the deltas or ds?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

F[itex]_{k}[/itex]=δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q[itex]_{k}[/itex] would be the limit of δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] as δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] tends to zero.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    Here ##\delta W ## is the work done by all forces for virtual displacement ##\delta q_{k} ## while no change in other generalized coordinates.

Don't forget that W depends on forces too, and the forces may depend on ##q_{k}##. Partial derivative is not correct here then.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    The deltas are for virtual work / displacement not small change in ##q_k## etc.

Right, so what is actually implied by ## \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} ##? If partial derivative is not correct, is there a correct way in terms of the partial derivatices to express this? and is this the formal way to do so with the ##\delta##s?

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5
    I'm not sure but in my opinion, since δqk is arbitrary, we can set infinitesimal value to it and write the ratio in terms of partial derivatives:

[itex]\frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} \rightarrow \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_{k}}+\sum_{i}\frac{\partial W}{\partial F_{i}}\frac{\partial F_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/itex]

However I have never seem such formula perhaps because it's not useful. We often don't have W as a function readily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook