Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual particles and Einstein energy relation

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    So, all I ever keep reading is that virtual particles don't HAVE to satisfy E2 = p2 + m2. Should it instead be that they don't satisfy the energy relation. Also, can someone show the general case mathematically how the energy relation is violated. If it's easier maybe a simple example of an electron emitting and absorbing a virtual photon or some simple electron-positron interaction. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    this question is asked everywhere here, why dont you just pick up any book or lecture notes set found on the internet and derive that yourself? :)

I can give you links if you want to see it...

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3

arivero

Gold Member

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    I might add to the above answers that in higher order perturbation theory, with diagrams containing loops, there are virtual particles for which all values of the momentum 4-vector contributes to the amplitude. The amount of contribution, however, varies a lot between different values of this 4-vector.

Torquil

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5

arivero

Gold Member

I think that people is interested in the topic because of space-like thing. Superluminal mystic. Fortunately the mass in the propagator is the real mass.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook