Virtual Particles And Hidden Dimensions

In summary, the concept of virtual particles as constantly popping in and out of existence is a flawed perspective and is just a mathematical tool used in calculations. The Casimir effect, often cited as evidence for virtual particles, can be explained without reference to them. Virtual particles are not a concrete description of reality, but rather a calculation technique.
mjacobsca
This may be way off base, but is there any support for the notion that virtual particles seem to appear and disappear because they move into and out of dimensions that we can't see? I kind of envision them appearing on arcs similar to solar prominences, where plasma follows the magnetic field lines to create a loop. Could such prominences come from other dimensions, could the virtual particles be attached along these prominences such that they always meet along them, and is it possible that the virtual particles are not created from nothing, but rather just jump into and out of our 3 dimensions?

Another similar thought I had was whether quantum particles that are entangled are actually connected via hidden dimensional constructs such that even when far apart in our 3 dimensions, they may be closely connected in others.

I know these ideas are out there, but I wanted to see what others thought. Please be gentle!

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
mjacobsca said:
This may be way off base, but is there any support for the notion that virtual particles seem to appear and disappear because they move into and out of dimensions that we can't see? I kind of envision them appearing on arcs similar to solar prominences, where plasma follows the magnetic field lines to create a loop. Could such prominences come from other dimensions, could the virtual particles be attached along these prominences such that they always meet along them, and is it possible that the virtual particles are not created from nothing, but rather just jump into and out of our 3 dimensions?

Another similar thought I had was whether quantum particles that are entangled are actually connected via hidden dimensional constructs such that even when far apart in our 3 dimensions, they may be closely connected in others.

I know these ideas are out there, but I wanted to see what others thought. Please be gentle!

Mike

No. To say Virtual Particles are popping in and out of existence is really a flawed perspective on things for a number of reasons. Firstly, in Quantum Field Theory particles aren't really things, they're just labels for disturbances of quantum fields (which are a thing), thus their coming and going is really not amazingly different than a rolling sea with wave forming and going and clashing, etc. where the water is like the quantum field and the wave peaks are like particles. Secondly, I don't think many physicists take the concept of Virtual Particles to be a real thing. Virtual Particles really just come about because we can't solve certain integrals (math equations) exactly and thus need to solve them in this scheme of infinite approximations (called perturbation theory). It's only here that the notion of Virtual Particles pops up so really it's just a mathematical abstraction, if we could actually solve the integrals themselves there'd be no need for a description with them (that's why we call them "virtual").

In other words Virtual Particles are a CALCULATION TECHNIQUE rather than a concrete description of reality.

Good Lord, not again.

There are at least six different threads on this. Unfortunately popularizations in particular seem to misunderstand that the reason we distinguish between "real" and "virtual" particles is that virtual particles are not real. The Casimir effect is often invoked as evidence that virtual particles having a real, physical existence, but Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to virtual particles or even zero point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents.

This refuses to die. I suspect it is because there are many fewer people who have done the calculation that those who have read something in a popularization. The former group then finds itself drowned out by the latter group.

mathman said:
There is a real effect due to virtual particles - its called the Casimir effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

At the end of the day the only time (to my knowledge) the concept of virtual particles needs to come into anything (including the casimir effect) is if you need to calculate some propagator with a small potential V and since you can't solve it exactly (if we could do that things would be peachy and you'd never have heard of virtual particles) so you need to use a Dyson series which can be interpreted as an infinite sum of particle interactions above the vacuum/ground state. However, this is just a mathematical trick to get around solving integrals we can't solve, it's not real physics.

1. What are virtual particles and how do they differ from normal particles?

Virtual particles are particles that do not have a permanent existence in the physical world, but rather exist temporarily due to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. They differ from normal particles in that they can appear and disappear spontaneously without violating the laws of physics.

2. How are virtual particles related to hidden dimensions?

Virtual particles are thought to arise from the effects of hidden dimensions, which are dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions and one time dimension that we are familiar with. These hidden dimensions are believed to exist in theories such as string theory and may play a role in the creation of virtual particles.

3. Can virtual particles be observed or measured?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed or measured because their existence is based on probabilistic calculations and they have very short lifetimes. However, their effects can be observed in certain phenomena such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding virtual particles and hidden dimensions?

The study of virtual particles and hidden dimensions is still in its early stages, but there are potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and high energy physics. Understanding these concepts may also lead to advancements in our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. Are virtual particles and hidden dimensions just theoretical concepts or have they been proven to exist?

At this point, virtual particles and hidden dimensions are still theoretical concepts that have not been directly observed or proven to exist. However, there is strong evidence and mathematical support for their existence through various experiments and theories such as the Standard Model and string theory.